FE almost stalls when pulling away

Don't really know what's going on here. The car seems to run fine when I get it going, there's no discernible loss in power or torque. It idles fine, 1100-1200 cold dropping to 800 or so when warm and seems to be able to idle all day.

Where it goes wrong is when I'm pulling away, as soon as the clutch bites the revs drop right down and it almost stalls out, then it seems to recover. It doesn't matter what I do with the throttle at this point, the revs drop to 400 or so and then pick back up. I don't know if it's connected, but there's also a kind of whining note to the engine as well that hasn't always been there but I put down to my gearbox being a piece of shit.

I've tried loading revs before pulling away, easing it like I'm carrying TNT, and just pulling away in 2nd. Nothing seems to help.

I've got no other signs of a headgasket fail, no white smoke or increased oil use. All fluids are topped off. No EML. No recent mods that I could've fucked up. I don't have a compression tester to see where that's at. It just started last week and I'm kinda lost on what it could be.