Hi everyone,

I'm keen to get a few opinions on a recent scenario I have experienced.

Currently twiddling my thumbs until a new water pump arrives on Monday afternoon and then I can fit it and get back to Uni. But I am having a bit of a concerned moment at the minute regarding why it failed.

The pump is relatively new in terms of age but has covered a considerable mileage (15k+) and I have to be honest - some of them have been pretty hard miles. Ok, very hard miles.

The cooling system has always been filled with de-ionised water and antifreeze at a 30-70 mix, coolant to water. It is very clean in terms of debris and hasn't discoloured too badly.

Yesterday when I hooked up my oil breather system at long last, I was warming up the engine to ensure it operated correctly at all stages of idle (which is another issue I could do with help on). It took longer than I had hoped to warm up and given I knew it shouldn't take so long, I went to check under the bonnet.

Sure enough the water pump weep hole was dumping coolant at an alarming rate so I immediately keyed off the engine which was still barely up to temp.

With the pump off, I have inspected it carefully and as far as I can tell, it isn't corroded. The bearing feels fine. It makes no strange noises. The coolant is in good condition.

So what caused it to fail?

My main worry is that something else may be wrong with the cooling system that actually caused the pump failure. I cannot identify any leaks anywhere although last week I had one odd moment - the temperature gauge suddenly shot up, and I mean within a fraction of a second (I'm very paranoid and keep an eye on the gauge every couple seconds). Keyed off immediately and fired up after 30 seconds and the temperature was fine and I didn't have any issues. When I got home the coolant level was low and I topped up and it has reached and held temperature nicely under all driving conditions. But of course now the pump has failed. :p

As for the idle problem - the cold idle is very low and it steadily rises and settles for warm idle at approximately 1200-1350rpm (I have no tach for now so cannot confirm). I have no blink codes flashing up and the engine misfires very intermittently when accelerating hard from very very low speeds/throttle openings in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. I suspect the Idle Control Valve. What do you guys think?

The engine is a 1999 4E-FE from a G6 Corolla (E11)

Sorry for the wall of text, but I do need a little guidance on this one. Thanks for any help!

KP

No it was a Blueprint ADL which I personally find matches Toyota parts. Replaced it with another ADL along with the thermostat and its golden. I do seem to have an oily smell since setting up the breather though! Balls.

What is the service interval for the pump?

KP