Aftermarket steering wheel

I know it's probably been covered already but thought I'd start another one up to see if anyone has found any solutions yet!

So, anyone figured out how to make the horn work on an airbag steering wheel yet? Or even the self cancelling indicators? I've just fitted a wheel myself and mine has no horn or self cancelling as it was an airbag model!

Also am I supposed to have a gap this big? Or have I removed something I shouldn't have? The wheel works as normal and what not just don't like the huge gap

Posted Image

The way my wheel is set up, I used a piece of wire with a fork connector on one end and a spade connector on the other. The fork connector is plugged into the horn plug on the car, then the spade is connected to the horn button on the wheel. This should get your horn button working.

As for the indicators, there should be a small black ring behind your boss kit, with 3 (I think) small 'nubs' on it. This is what cancels your indicators, the ring has little cut-outs on the side and as you turn the wheel far enough it makes the stalks flick back to centre.

I'm not sure what the back of your boss looks like, but I drilled 3 small indents in the back of my wheel for these nubs to locate into and now my indicators work like normal. You hopefully should be able to do something similar with the steering boss!

As for the gap, I'm not 100% but I don't think you can do much about it.

Some boss kits come with the wee ring that cancels the indicators, I recently changed my boss and now they self cancel. It's a nice luxury.

Mine also has the gap around it, don't think you can do anything about that tbh

• 2 weeks later...

Is there two connections on back of horn button ? Plug one to the original horn wire with piece of wire and proper connectors and on the other one use a piece of wire with ring connector one end and place it between the wheel and hub so bolt goes through the hole and it should work. That's the way my is done. It needs to be earthed. Hope that helps you. I can take a pic but it would be Tuesday as its my day off 😀

Is there two connections on back of horn button ? Plug one to the original horn wire with piece of wire and proper connectors and on the other one use a piece of wire with ring connector one end and place it between the wheel and hub so bolt goes through the hole and it should work. That's the way my is done. It needs to be earthed. Hope that helps you. I can take a pic but it would be Tuesday as its my day off

If you could get me some pictures that'd be great! My horn button does have two connectors and the boss has a copper ring on the back of it

So this is how I done it anyway hope it works for you to 😀

The black wire is the original horn wire and just made a 5 inch piece up the green one female one end and ring end the other. My ring end wasn't big enough so just snipped it 😂

28362CE0-B751-4CE8-BDA4-7783A90CEB18.jpg

Place the ring end on the hub so it lines up with a bolt hole to hold on the steering wheel and tuck the wires away

96ADA470-D7ED-4186-A23E-14B054D99AE4.jpg

Then tuck the wires away and place the steering wheel on so it sandwiches the ring end on and then bolt it all back up

3E1AC666-6549-41A6-A165-4E256380AD30.jpg Try the horn should work. Hope it sorts it out.