I need some turbo help

Hi Guys,

I came across this forum while looking for some information, and thought if you guys don't know then no one would.

I have purchased a ct9 turbo that comes off a toyota starlet, I wish to fit this turbo to my motorbike, but I want to check on how the water cooling and oil hoses connect, The turbo has two two small pipes out the top and I'm pretty sure they are the water inlet and outlet pipes, it also has a small tube with a braided fitting attached that looks to me to be the oil in line, next to this is a larger pipe that I was told was the water outlet but it looks more to me like its an oil overflow/excess tube of some type.

I'm wondering if someone could confirm I'm correct or put me straight on how these pipes should be connected, I want to put this turbo on a triumph sprint motorbike I can tap into the water system of the bike as well as the oil cooler line for the oil, but I'm not at this stage sure how I would connect the oil drain line into the bike as yet, I'm assuming again this pipe needs to be connected back into the motor somehow.

Any help that you guys could give would be much appreciated.

the water lines are on the top of the turbo. and you need a little plate thing that fits onto it that you can fit the water lines to. it isnt a standard type fitting, so only a toyota one or a custom one will fit. the toyota one sits the water lines behind the inducer inlet on the hot side of the turbo.

the oil lines are at the bottom. the standard ct9 from a starlet does not have braided oil lines... you sure its from a starlet? it could be from an estima/lucidia.

eitherway, the starlet ct9 uses a little oil flange (again, its not a standard fitment, so its either toyota or custom.) the toyota one is entirely made of ally and is rigid, there is an oil iinlet that has a bango bolt on it (to attach to the block) and the outlet is just a dump pipe that a rubber hose fits onto to then fit to the sump.

what bike are you planning on using this on? because the ct9 is pretty shit ^^ and anything remotely revvy (which it probably will be) and youll start creeping boost because the wastegate is pathetic.

if you really want a ct9, id recommend welding the gat shut and running it externally.

the water lines are on the top of the turbo. and you need a little plate thing that fits onto it that you can fit the water lines to. it isnt a standard type fitting, so only a toyota one or a custom one will fit. the toyota one sits the water lines behind the inducer inlet on the hot side of the turbo.

the oil lines are at the bottom. the standard ct9 from a starlet does not have braided oil lines... you sure its from a starlet? it could be from an estima/lucidia.

eitherway, the starlet ct9 uses a little oil flange (again, its not a standard fitment, so its either toyota or custom.) the toyota one is entirely made of ally and is rigid, there is an oil iinlet that has a bango bolt on it (to attach to the block) and the outlet is just a dump pipe that a rubber hose fits onto to then fit to the sump.

what bike are you planning on using this on? because the ct9 is pretty shit ^^ and anything remotely revvy (which it probably will be) and youll start creeping boost because the wastegate is pathetic.

if you really want a ct9, id recommend welding the gat shut and running it externally.

Hi StarletRick,

Thank you for your reply, The turbo has the pipes with it so thats not a problem, and my description of what I thought was the oil line was bad it is a solid tube with a bango fitting.

I'm putting the turbo on a Triumph sprint st with a 1050 cc motor, it redlines at 9,500 rpm and I only want to run about 3 to 5 pound boost, I got the turbo pretty cheap so I figured I'd see if I could fit it to the bike.

The bike is water cooled and pretty easy to tap into that system, the oil cooler is just there as well and easy to tap into, its the oil drain that Im concerned about as I'm not sure how to run that back into the motor as yet, does much oil come from the return and would a catch can work or will it drain my sump?

im not really up on my bikes but youll have to tak the return into a non pressured part on the oil system. best way i can think of is tap it into the top of your oil can. the turbo needs a constant supply of oil to keep it lubed and dissipate the head, so if you dont run it back into the oil system, youll end up with no oil in the engine, and we dont want that..

on a 1 litre motor, youll have trouble keeping the boost under 9 or 10 psi when revving it up that high mate. the wastegate on the ct9 is just way too small. youll have much better boost control if you weld it up and run an external gate.

i honestly think you should consider something a little more capable, have you looked at a KKK24 turbo? they are ten times better than a ct9, and will suit your needs little better.

a K24 on a bike? mate, have you ever driven a turbo bike?

he needs the smallest turbo he can get, any amount of boost on a bike is lethal, they'll spool up when going round a corner and bam, you're dead. its lush.

ct9 or something like a td04-11b, one of the tiny ones, basically anything with decent boost control. perhaps, a turbo from a cappucino or figaro might be a little better suited.

ive seen fecking loads of k24s on bikes mate.

if its externally gated for a few psi, itll be ok.

a ct9 will be like "lol look at me im creeping ^^"

they creep on a shitty 4e, at about 5k. imagine it on a 9500 rpm bike. itll be like, boosting everywhere.

you want something with a bigger exhaust side to come with the gas flow at high RPMs. the k24 has a good sized exhaust and a relativly small compressor housing. you dont have to run big boost on a bigger turbo.

itll be more laggy, but it revs to 9k. so who cares.