OVERHEATING ! PLEASE HELP NEWBIE

hi guys, i got my ep82 yest, was driving it on the m1, everything was fine.. but got stuck in traffic, and the engine temp went up in the red section, got concerned and pulled over on the hard shoulder, by the time i did this, ther were little smoke or vapor coming from the driver side of the bonnet ( i think came from the overflow coolant bottle), i switch off the engine and ther was water coming from under the car and water bottle. i didnt drive the car got it recovered home by aa, wat possibly caused that?

today i added water to the radiator and engine coolant bottle. i started engine and it was idling normal. waited till it warmed up for abt 10 mins. temp was kinda normal but i waited for the fan to start up but never came on. and noticed that water was boiling in the overflow bottle so i switched it off and left it.

i dunno wat to do? am not that good in mechanic.. can anyone shed some ligth on this for me plzzzz

some mates r telling me head gasket gone. i hope not <_<

but check the oil. seems normal not creamy !! please help? !!!

other thing i noticed is that the cambelt cover is loose and i can even see inside

was your heater working normaly before this,

its sounds like your thermostat is a away to be honest,

get a new one they are cheap from toyota and hope you have not roastet the head, chances are its a toyota so you will be fine.

i cant remember which sensor controls the fan but start with the thermostat its a reallly comon problem mate

thermostats hold open, so itll be cold. and there wont be any water in the overflow if its stuck closed.

check the fuse for the fan. and then check the fan itself (just apply a 12v current to the terminals)

also did you let the car run od idle with the rad cap OFF when you filled it up??? if not you may have air in there.

i had a similar problem with my ep70, Whenver i was stationary with engine running the engine just overheated and fan never kicked in.

i bridged the terminals on my fan to see if the fan worked and that was fine, so i just wired that up to a switch in the car, all is fine now, and the reason your coolant is boiling is because the engine is getting way too hot for it, so refill your coolant with anti-freeze and water this should help a little.

The main causes of this are usually the temp sender which is normally the coolant temperature sensor, found in the radiator i think. Get that checked out they are usually the main cause for the fan not to kick in (excluding fuse and dodgy wiring and all that) if its not that then its possibly the thermostat but its unlikely that it is

tom

hi guys!! thx for reply, got the car check at a tuning shop yest they found the fan unplugged, so go it plugged inand fan was working fine, drove alot yest . was ok. but this morning when i started the car from cold. the fan was on.. and noticed that its constantly on !! y? drove abt 20 miles this morning, no overheating. but on way home got stuck in traffic. and overheating started again so i parked and waited for the engine to cool down to drive back, same symtoms when overheating.. the overflow bottle is overflowing !! y?? <_< . guess having a bad start wid the ep. y overheating in traffic? want to sort this out its embarassing.. and the car is reving 1300 rpm cold or warm y that ? too high? thx

you numpty.

did you not think to check that!!! lol.

firstly take your thermostat out, soo if that works. if it still overheats then fuck knows...

have you got the AC removed, because if you remove the ac and dont bridge the wires, the fan is on constantly.you are gunna have to give us some proper details for us to even try to diagnose this over the net.

you numpty.

did you not think to check that!!! lol.

firstly take your thermostat out, soo if that works. if it still overheats then fuck knows...

have you got the AC removed, because if you remove the ac and dont bridge the wires, the fan is on constantly.you are gunna have to give us some proper details for us to even try to diagnose this over the net.

lol going to buy thermotat now, yeah ac was removed by previous owner !! is ther ay diy link for me to do the thermostat?

ah i got it! points fur me.

when you remove the AC, you have to bridge the terminals on the AC plug near the passenger side headlight. or the fan stays on all the time.

and before you put a new tghermo in, run it without one. see if that helps.

drain the coolant. then on the side of the thermo housing wher the hose going to the top on the rad is, youll see that it can unbolt. its 2 bolts holding the little dome part on. unscrew it, take the thermostat out (its like a little spring liiking thing) then put it all back without the thermo in it, and remember to take out the rubber ring aswell.

full the ad up with water till it overflows. then run the car on idle till the fan cuts in with the rad cap OFF. youll see loads of bubbles and shit comnig up as it bleeds out.

put the rad cap back on and take it for a spin.

see if it overheats then. if it does, then your water pump is fucked.

i cant find a picture....

but its a small plug, that goes into the pressure pressure sensor on the ac pipes, near the battery/NS headlight.

you cant bloody miss it!

ok ill have a look again try to find a pic lol wud be of great help thx