Every now and then but happening more frequent my glanza just cranks then fires after about 5 seconds, once running its spot on and will start first turn after that. Im also getting smell of petrol but ive checked from tank to injectors and no leaks found. Dont know if this is normal as my last one i could smell petrol too. Im thinking maybe a lazy pump but have no idea about these engines at the mo. If anyone has had similar issues what was the outcome? Also any help would me much appreciated :) cheers guys!

Thought it could be pump just didnt know if there were issues others had suffered with. If i replace it with the 255lph one would the car need mapping to suit or would it be ok? Thanks.

Had a problem like this last night car wouldn't start for 2 hours ( head was gone gonna break it lol) was just the battery was weak and couldn't fire the car. If your getting a smell of petrol would mean it's getting fuel but not firing. I had to put a bit of lead in the negative post of battery to make a good connection jumped it off the Ol boys van Fired up straight away.

It will fire up without fail, started after i drove to work approx 2 miles, left it until dinner time and went to it and it would crank for 5 secs then start up. Ill check battery atwork tomorrow just to rule out. The loose connection/corroded pins on the temp sensor? Were is that located mate? Ill defo check this out and make sure all other connections are ok.

ecu temp sensor bad connection will kill starting to etc etc

95% sure that this is problem, overfueling. Or very badly leaking injectors. Try start gaspedal full throtle so engine get air and ventilate intake manifold 20s before starting by keeping gaspedal on.

Ill try that thanks bud, i had it on rollers a week ago to see how it was fueling etc and they told me it was running spot on. Hopefully get it sorted soon.

Water signal sender to ecu is broken, common problem on Toyotas. Normally green sender on thermostat housing, few minutes job and maybe 10£ cost. When it's broken, ecu thinks that engone is cold and gives extra fuel and engine get too much fuel, that full throtle helps for leaner mixture.

anyone know where to get a plug and section of cable for it online as mine just snapped there

From Toyota, have bought few plugs there and very cheap price.

Thanks guys much appreciated. So its the sensor on the thermostat housing above gearbox? That probs explains why my temp on dash fluctuates abit. Cheers again guys.

there both on the thermostat housing the green 1is ecu and the 1 next to it with one wire if for the gauge on the dash

flucktuation on the dash gauge has nothing to do with the ecu u might also have another isseu

( the green sensor has no input on engine temps going up and down )

• 2 weeks later...

Mate It can be few things on these starlets as there old there are parts that will give up. The symptoms your having sounds like a fuelling issue might be the fuel pump giving up which is common on these cars and will cause the car to randomly conk out and choke. how many turns does it take for the car to fire up first time in the morning mate?

Starter is kicking in mate just wont fire up. About a week ago or when i started this post it was taking about 3 secs now a lil longer. 3 secs doesnt sound long but it is when cranking lol. The intank pump? Ill order the walbro one from TD and try it as i need one anyway for future mods.