Engine Coolant.

I am in a dilemma , over the weekend i helped my friend with my starlet.He was to travel almost 400Km and before the journey he went to a local Total Service Station where the attendant had a check on the car and they advised him to top up the coolant.He bought a litre of the Total COOLELF Auto Supra coolant( pink- orange )and topped up the reserve with almost half a litre.

EKH_TOTAL_COOLELFAUTOSUPRA-26_1L.png

He drove all the way and back with no problem.

When he got back is when i saw the container and i realised that he had mixed the original green coolant with the above.On checking around the internet about if its safe to mix i read that its not safe since the mixture turns acidic and corrodes the engine and radiator.Kindly advise if this is true ?

I have shopped around for "green" coolant and only found the below.Is it good for starlet engine?

0195_full.jpg

Edited by geofreygachie

You shouldnt mix them it can turn to gel.

All threads on here say use this use that.

Anti freeze is anti freeze. It has no function other than stopping your coolant from freezing and raising your coolants boiling point.

So basically in a nutshell. Use whichever one you want and spend the money else where on something like good oil. Which actually serves a purpose.

Im sure i read somewhere that the red and green were made up differently chemically so if you were to use the other type to what your engine is designed it can damage/corrode/dry out seals etc prematurely.

However i dont actually have any proof of this so could just be hear say.

Im sure i read somewhere that the red and green were made up differently chemically so if you were to use the other type to what your engine is designed it can damage/corrode/dry out seals etc prematurely.

However i dont actually have any proof of this so could just be hear say.

Coolants are all made up of chemicals and seals are all made of paper/cardboard or rubber all of which are perishable items.

I can honestly say in all my time as a mechanic never once have I ever seen a car fail due to using the wrong type of anti-freeze.

Its relativity is literally on par with screenwash.

• 2 weeks later...