Questions about handling mods

I don't really know that much about handling/suspension, although I do know the bare basics of it.

Well I've seen it mentioned a few times that Starlets handle like poo, and I've felt it myself, going above 60mph round bends (me being a passenger) it does feel as if there is no grip and no weight holding you down.

Lower profile tyres and getting more rubber on the road is the first thing, which I'll have in a couple of weeks when I buy alloys+tyres (currently on standard wheels and tyres).

And then of course there's lowering. Fairly straightforward.

But what after that?

I know of strut braces and things like that, but exactly how far can you go with handling mods, what would be sensible point to stop at (considering the power of the car and other things like that), aswell as how much it's all going to cost.

How much of a gain would you see from tyres+lowering+front (and maybe rear aswell) strut braces?

Remember this is for an EP91 N/A, (not sure if the Glanza has different suspension/handling setup as standard) which will probably have some minor engine mods in the future (corolla manifold being the main one).

So basically I want to know what handling mods are needed to get fairly decent handling and around how much should it cost, or a better way of putting it;

I don't want to spend too much but I do want some improvements.

every one is raving about the rear anti roll bar mate (£130ish). mines in my room waiting to be fitted so i cant comment first hand but the improvement is suppose to be great.

then maybe anti lift kit (£60ish)

and then some lowering springs. these 3 combined is probably the cheapest option but will see you some good gains over stock.

I'll have a look at anti roll bars, haven't read much about them really.

As for the springs and shock absorbers, do they have to be GOOD ones, and around how much are you looking at for some decent ones?

What about strut braces? Do they make alot of difference? Worth buying one, or maybe making one?

They look fairly simple, I've seen other people use "home made" ones, so that could be a possibility, and I do have some engineering knowledge (did a course on engineering while I was still in school).

Anyhow thanks for replies, I'll go and read up about anti roll bars :)

Well I have Rear Antiroll bar, Pi Springs and Yokahama tyres, I was definatly suprised on how much grip I had after fitting these.

Oh and 60mph on standard starlet suspension is not advisable :)

my ex-SR had a corolla manifold, induction kit and full exhaust. i had 15" enkei's on 195/45 tyres, a front gt strut brace and koni soft/ hard adjusable suspension, it was lowered 30-40mm, handling was great for the normal 1.3, not sure how it would have been if it was turbo'd though.