td/tfo numbers and digits explanation

• 3 weeks later...

the 1 from me on top is a 6cm and androos left 1 is a o4o now we know the foresters have both 4 and 6cm housing

brrr whht do they make it so dificult

i hope my new 1 that arrives is a 4cm housing want super fast spool

we can swap housings if we need to richard

Yeah but with the 4cm housing is it not causing high pressure throttling meaning the engine has to work harder just to get the exhaust gasses out?

The 4cm looks way too small.

I might be wrong.. need to see it in person. If mine is 4cm and I dont like the size then we can deffo swap ;)

I had this small turbine housing setup on both a hi comp 4E and now the 5E....... Such a good combo for a street car.

The smaller 4cm TF035 cam from 99 model foresters. Thats where mine came from.

Why not just get one of these and put the TDo4 front half on it ?

I have a theory about the tiny TF exhaust wheel.... IT SUX....

The out let to the dump pipe is all of 35mm. If you ask me thats where the restriction is. And on top of that the turbine wheel is taking up area too.

Thats why I went to a TD04 core with the housing machined to suit..... Bolted straight up.

The larger diameter of the TD04 Exhaust wheel makes better use of the exhaust gasses hitting it , it acts just like a longer lever.

Mine made more boost on the same EBC setting than the small wheel. So I had to dial it back.

TF Left VS TD right Exhaust wheels

20151015_191437_zpsmgahul9c.jpg

i did back to back test with the tfo35hm and tdo4l-13t the full boost gap diferences is over 700rpm 1.1bar around 3200 vs 1bar ish 3900 ish

i am having doubts if my older 1 was a 4cm it might of bean a 6cm as i have now will check in my thread

@richard the tdo4 core will slot in tfo housing just needs machining larger for the td proppeler

wich in my eyes beats the whole point of having a very fast spooling tfo at 1.1 to 1.2bar its a flyer

Edited by 5e colin

i did back to back test with the tfo35hm and tdo4l-13t the full boost gap diferences is over 700rpm 1.1bar around 3200 vs 1bar ish 3900 ish

i am having doubts if my older 1 was a 4cm it might of bean a 6cm as i have now will check in my thread

@richard the tdo4 core will slot in tfo housing just needs machining larger for the td proppeler

wich in my eyes beats the whole point of having a very fast spooling tfo at 1.1 to 1.2bar its a flyer

i know we been through this a few treads now 5e colin...but somehow i think the td04l into the tf035 4cm housing should be the best combination for both worlds....in theory, worse case scenerio you hit 1.1bar at 3550 and have better power curve...and then you may still be able to tweek boost arrival to earlier rpm like the stock tf035

Yeah but with the 4cm housing is it not causing high pressure throttling meaning the engine has to work harder just to get the exhaust gasses out?

The 4cm looks way too small.

I might be wrong.. need to see it in person. If mine is 4cm and I dont like the size then we can deffo swap ;)

It looks small but remember that Subaru engineers speced this housing for a 2 litre engine.

All I can say is try it and see for your self.

so my new tfo35hm landed there i checked it and this 1 is a 6cm housing to

49135 - 04500 ( 4cm) 14T

49135 - 04600 14T

49135 - 04690 14T

49135 - 04700 ( 6cm ) confirmed 13T

49135 - 04780 ( 6cm ) confirmed 13T

post-9966-0-09911900-1468490783_thumb.jp

Edited by 5e colin

i would also like to find out between the 13t and 14t size if anyone has any links to it as im running into dead ends about that info

take pictures of the exhaust housing where it connects to the v band timd

Edited by 5e colin

Im sure Ive put this up before . Here is some data I collected after doing back to back testing. Same tune , same boost settings on EBC

20150704_223518_LLS_zpsvhqcadzq.jpg

This was with the small TF035 Exhaust wheel and TD04 compressor and cover. 4EFE

Here is a link to my TF VS TD write up.

http://austarletclub.com/index.php?/topic/20297-tf035-4cm-vs-6cm-turbine-housing/?hl=%2Btf035+%2Btd04#entry203492

Edited by Androo26

Does it need separating for you to know what housing it is?

I'll grab some pics and give it a bath in WD tonight.

I need to get it sent away for a rebuild, or rebuild it myself, can you get kits?

ya man 4 cm housing :) so that a 49135-04500 you have there ??

did you drive this turbo whats spool like compared to us on the 6cm housings

are you going to open it ?? if so measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor wheeel if you can ?? see if its same on us 6cm boys virtual credits added :) :) ha ha

that housing does look A LOT narrower very curious about this performing at the stock limiter