water temp needle crazyyyyyness

last night the watertemp needle just suddenly started going uber insane..

as in bouncing up and down... checked everything i could in the dark, ie hoses pressurised, rad topped up etc...

the sensor was still attatched to the thermostat...and the wires looked fine..

so would a faulty thermostat make the temperture needle fluctuate like crazy?

i cant be assed ripping the thermostat out if its not that..

if you guys think it could be, thats fine because i was after a sard one anywho :p

im just being lazy asking you guys, its cold.. wet and dark outside and it probably will be all damn week..

throw some ideas at me chaps and chapettes :p

Craig

definatly sounnds like the thermostat ragger,

the job is very easy to put a new one in by the way

Did mine today. Its not hard to do, but I think very easy is a bit of an over statment, you have to..

drain the rad

take out the efi pipe

take off temp sensor

take off rad pipe

take off bell housing

etc etc

Fixed all my probs tho.

Oz

why did you take off the belhousing oz dude?

sorry i thought it was pretty easy to do, i never took the temp sensor off though and just kept the bottom hose on the radiator,

took me five mins to do.

Changing the thermostat should take no more than 5 minutes.Remove nothing only the coil to distrubitor lead as it gets in the way.No need to remove hoses or anything else.

lol i thought he ment the gearbox housing
Changing the thermostat should take no more than 5 minutes.Remove nothing only the coil to distrubitor lead as it gets in the way.No need to remove hoses or anything else.

Believe me Im no expert, but Im not sure how your get to the thermostat bell housing unless you remove the airpipe first. I guess you could remove the dizzy and go around, but it seems like a harder option to me.

This is where your trying to get to...

4efte.jpg

Also, I found it alot easier to take the housing off with the lower rad pipe and sensor removed, purely as they get in the way! There was very little play in the cable for the sensor.

Also this way, you can completely remove the housing to inspect it for crud and give it a good clean etc.

So once youve removed the rad plug and drained the rad, surely your over the 5 min mark? :)

(i guess you could skip this, but you and your gearbox case are gona get messy!)

As I said, Im no expert, so take my thoughts with a serious spoonful of salt.

Oz

i never took the temp sensor off though and just kept the bottom hose on the radiator,

took me five mins to do.

I kept the hose connected to the rad, just took it off the thermostat housing.

by the way Enzo, your car looks amazing in your sig pic! Do you have a thread with more pics?

Oz

Thanks a bunch lads for the info.

I know how to change the thermostat, thats not a problem...

I was just wondering if it could be the thermostat thats faulty.... causing the needle to keep bobbing around..

Checked the sensor today and it looks fine which is what i thought, as ive not touched it lately.

And i cant see the actual dial being faulty as thats only a low chance.. so im guessing the thermostat itselfs packed up.

sard item it is then :)

only thing i was wondering was, if the thermostat is faulty.. wouldnt the air/fuel ratio be all over the place because the ecu wouldnt know if its hot or cold and keep altering the fuelling as if the engine had just been started? if so, the mix is spot on after its been warmed up for 5 mins... ? i might get a new one anyway then see if it resolves the crazy ass needle reading :(

Craig.