my car glanza started this loud ticking louder than the normal injector ticking and i cant figure it out it.. i read some older posts about the unplugging the ICV to see if any changes or cracked manifold ect but none of those seem to be the issue have this crappy video for audio 

2 hours ago, Claymore said:

Did it happen out of the blue or has it had any work recently?

Yeah just out of the blue while I was driving  only work done was a oil change about a week ago I started it today and it had no clicking from a cold start but once it warmed up and I drove for couple mins the ticking came back 

Check the right grade of oil was used, although it seems like an extreme result even if it is the wrong grade of oil.

Unfortunately it could be many things. So it may be a process of elimination, based on the video sound.

With the engine off

Start with a visual inspection of the engine bay components, any damaged / worn belts, worn bearings in alternator / Power steering pump. Have any vac hoses popped off / split. 

If the exhaust manifold has a crack it should be visible with black soot showing or a leaking gasket should also be traceable.

22 hours ago, Claymore said:

Check the right grade of oil was used, although it seems like an extreme result even if it is the wrong grade of oil.

Unfortunately it could be many things. So it may be a process of elimination, based on the video sound.

With the engine off

Start with a visual inspection of the engine bay components, any damaged / worn belts, worn bearings in alternator / Power steering pump. Have any vac hoses popped off / split. 

If the exhaust manifold has a crack it should be visible with black soot showing or a leaking gasket should also be traceable.

the alternator is new i used a 5w30 oil my belts look fine and the power steering looked fine vac lines looked fine i did 2 starts with no belts and only alternator belt on  then i put the power steering/ac belt on then it came back so im thinking it might be the  ac's pulley or bearing or something? but i was wondering if i could get a smaller belt and only have it on the power steering so i can isolate the ac completely and see if the noise goes away but im not sure how id find the size belt to even attempt that  cause i wont be able to tension it id have to get something a tad smaller  so it'll be tight  over the power steering so it doesnt fly off  but idk if im overthinking it or not im a bit lost with the noise its driving me insane 

It sounds like you may be closing in on the issue. 😀

Some people delete the A/C on these cars and therefore need a shorter belt for the Crank - Power steering pulley. I believe they use the one from the 4efe engine used in the starlet with no A/C. This belt is tensioned from an adjuster on the power steering pump. Google searching for this should reveal belt length required.

The noise in the video sounds like air being pumped to me. Does your A/C work? Is there any damage to the pipes or components of the system where the pump could be sucking and blowing air causing the noise?

2 minutes ago, Claymore said:

It sounds like you may be closing in on the issue. 😀

Some people delete the A/C on these cars and therefore need a shorter belt for the Crank - Power steering pulley. I believe they use the one from the 4efe engine used in the starlet with no A/C. This belt is tensioned from an adjuster on the power steering pump. Google searching for this should reveal belt length required.

The noise in the video sounds like air being pumped to me. Does your A/C work? Is there any damage to the pipes or components of the system where the pump could be sucking and blowing air causing the noise?

Yeah the A/C works perfectly I haven't noticed any damaged pipes for the AC I'll have to take another  look later it's 3am atm haha

Fair enough

Sound like either the A/C pump or PAS pump as you have said that the noise is not present until the belt for these items is in place.

If a/c works I doubt it could be leaking bad enough to make an air pumping noise. Might be A/C clutch or bearing making the noise though.

Keep at it.

Edited by Claymore
15 hours ago, Claymore said:

Fair enough

Sound like either the A/C pump or PAS pump as you have said that the noise is not present until the belt for these items is in place.

If a/c works I doubt it could be leaking bad enough to make an air pumping noise. Might be A/C clutch or bearing making the noise though.

Keep at it.

I just wanted to be sure so I tired running it without the belt and went for a drive and sure enough it's still there I'm stumped 😞 I reread what I first posted im using 5w20 think switching to 10w40/30 would help at all?

11 hours ago, Claymore said:

5w20 is a bit thin really.

Most people seem to run 10w40 in the UK or maybe 5w40 for colder climates.

Oil isn't expensive compared to other fixes so I'd change it if it was my car

I just changed it and I still got the ticking 😭