Standard 4efe, 146k, recently serviced, genuine toyota air filter and denso plugs, new oil (5w30) and filter. New fuel filter engine end (not sure if one in the tank?) and new fuel tank. New coolant. Throttle cleaned. Clutch had 9mm left, was told had about a year of life left, get a whiff of clutch when giving it some, to be expected I guess. The engine has had a very relaxed life as its from my mum's car. Running some redex through at the moment. Really slugish and poor pick up at lower revs.

Any advice welcome as I have zero knowledge, tools or equipment bar screwdrivers and socket set 🙃

Search blink code readout, this will give you the fault codes if any are stored. 

Then setup ignition timing (checking cam timing) and check dizzy cap and rotor arm.

Check your earth points on the chassis for corrosion as well as the map sensor pipe for muck (there is a inline filter in the pipe also check this the sensor will run fine with this removed). 

Make sure the intake air temp sensor is in its place. 

If you have a multimeter to hand we can check the coolant temp sensor and intake air temp sensor values (engine cold) as these can some times be off resulting in no blink code being set. 

Another thing to check is exhaust flow/pressure at the tail pipe, put your hand over it to see what the pressure is like (blocked cats and backbox problems).

Edited by Sam44