knocking noise between 1000rpm & 2000rpm

Hello chaps, second post here so be nice to me..

If i let it idle is sounds fine.As soon as i let the revs rise above idle is has a knocking sound from the top of the engine bay nearest the scuttle pannel :)

As soon as it passes say 1500ish, the noise goes completely.

It happens when im pulling away in 1st or when im just sitting still.

I honestly havent got a clue on this problem.

It just suddenly started making the noise yesterday morning when i started it.

Help? ill also be getting some pics of my engine bay up once i find some batterys.

does it sound like its coming from the engine itself, (if so where abouts) or something close to the engine?

Rich.

It sounds like its comming from behind the speedo / around the throttle body area but its hard to tell with out somebody sitting in the car keeping the revs up for me to listen :)

well if you stick your hand under the top mount intercooler you will be able to control the revs by moving the throttle butterfly, its on the inlet manifold. Bloody hard to explain lol. But stick your hand under there and you will feel it :)

Also is it more of a tapping noise than a knocking noise?

lol i would move the throttle butterfly but i cant get my hand under there, fat hands :) it sounds as if its comming from the boost control valve area, the boost guage needle is also flickering up and down whilst its on vacum.. im baffled.

And no chap, its not a stray cat.. could be my neighbours pup though B) any suggestions as to what it is?

If not ill nip it to toyota tomorrow and have to fork out for one of there gimps to look at it !

well it could be the idle control valve, its a small plug at top of engine near the brake fluid resevoir. pull it out when engine is running and tapping should stop but engine will stall after a few seconds. mine taps regular and have been told its summet to do with the induction kit but i don't know for sure.

well it could be the idle control valve, its a small plug at top of engine near the brake fluid resevoir. pull it out when engine is running and tapping should stop but engine will stall after a few seconds. mine taps regular and have been told its summet to do with the induction kit but i don't know for sure.

I was going to try the idle control valve tomorrow morning when its light outside and i can see what im doing :)

Thanks for the serious suggestion paul.

And thanks for the welcome shelly, good to be on here finally after having my glanza for over 4 months now B)

the noise does actually sound like a clicking from some type of sensor or valve more than an internal knock.

Ill yoink the plug out tomorrow morning and if it stops ill have to get a new one.

Ive just finished fitting my samcos so ill get some piccys up in the morning guys :lol: