Coilovers V Uprated Shocks and Lowering Springs

Ive asked this question before on the tgt.com forum, but what dyou guys reccon?. I was thinking of getting blistein lowering springs (ventura) , then uprating the shocks i.e. koni. But for the price of the konis, to me it seems more logical to save for a set of the d2s maybe?

Is anybody on here running coilovers on a daily driven car?. If so how do you find the ride quality, i.e. is it very harsh?

Thanks

coilovers are the ultimate, but i really cant justify them.

The cheapest you;re gonna get new are D2's, which is still about £650, but if you want teins etc you're gonna be paying that for second hand ones....

I want it lowered, yet, but the harshness that you get from coilovers would do me in, as i do 30miles+ a day.

I'm after something similar that was up on tgtt a while back. (found the link, see here - http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/viewthread.php?tid=3129 )

Lowering springs, 40mm being MORE than enough, without being stupidly low, aswell as the shocks being adjustable for dampness, meaning they still give a bit of versatility if you were planning on having a bit of a blast, maybe a track day or up pod or something.

Ofcourse, for ultimate handling, tein's are the way to go, im not denying that, but its justifying them at the end of the day which is the main thing. :)

how many times do you track it realistically? thats where coilovers come into there own. i very much doubt you'll find a road which will push a decent shock/spring combination to its limits, hence why i mentioned whether you can justify it.

just my 2p. B)

if you track it then sound, you have a reason for them, otherwise on uk's roads they can be a bit of a nuisance.

pot holes, speed bumps, uneven surfaces, it all adds up.

Coilovers are for track/show, shocks/springs are for every day use, thats just how it is.

I'm not argueing mate, im just giving as good a reason for both of them as i can.

Thats the point in a forum isn't it really, to provide unbiased information :)

Thanks for the replys peeps. My quibble about going the lowering springs and shocks route, is that you have to make sure you match the correct springs and shocks together don't you?, i.e. Ive heard konis / H and R are a good match. On the other hand, the coilovers i.e d2s have matched springs and shocks already. Also, the price you pay for lowering springs, and good uprated shocks, e.g. this example, http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/viewthread.php?tid=3129, even though its a good price, you could source a second hand set of coilovers or save a little more for coilovers.

I'm just goin off what Ive seen, so feel free to correct me on anything guys, as I've still got abit to learn suspension wise.

yeah ofcourse mate, its horses for courses at the end of the day.

i've been warned off second hand suspension just because to be 100% safe you'd need to budget in the cost of a refurb into the price you pay, meaning decent shocks/springs like the ones i posted are a safer bet money wise, well, when they're new anyway.

yeah ofcourse mate, its horses for courses at the end of the day.

i've been warned off second hand suspension just because to be 100% safe you'd need to budget in the cost of a refurb into the price you pay, meaning decent shocks/springs like the ones i posted are a safer bet money wise, well, when they're new anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you should say that mate. My Bro said the the exact thing - steer away from used suspension, as its something you can't afford to take short cuts on.

I think for the time being, when my GT arrives, I'm going to go for a set of these: http://funkystyling.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=4123, then upgrade to the d2s over the summer. Has anybody on here had any experience with these springs?.Their ventura,made by blistein?. Secondly how to you go about fitting / adjusting the whiteline panhard rod. I.e., if you lower the car by 40mm, how much would you have to adjust the panhard rod by?.