Hi there :rolleyes:

I have no clue what to say so ill start here... On monday of last week i went to view a Starlet GT Turbo and thought it was a good little car to start my tuning/modding, and by Wednesday i had bought the car lol

I caught the Turbo bug from a Micra.... yes a Micra, it was a bodge job i bought for £600 and sold for £800 2 months later :rolleyes:

I have loads of questions i dont know where to start. I realise this may not be the best place to ask (i.e. section) but if i have my questions in one place it would be better I think for getting the answers.

1) I have a Tom's ECU on the car and wondering what benefits this would have over the standard ECU, performance wise?

2) Is there a good website for buying parts, both standard and after market performance pieces, i am looking for a Blitz Nur-spec centre section as the exhaust has blown?

3) What brakes can i fit to the car to uprate them or even buy new standard discs and pads for all round?

4) My Manifold has a crack on the casting on port 3 i think, will this cause me any major problems? I have plans of buying a stainless manifold at some point but is it necessary i do it sooner rather than later?

5) I believe i have a Hi. boost and Lo. boost controller i was planning on running 0.6 Bar and 1 Bar respectively, do i need any uprated parts over OEM to run the 1 Bar?

6) Any other website i should bookmark for info, parts or jus a good read on the starlet?

Thanks for your time on answering these questions etc, i have had the car 5 days now so I'd like to learn more about it.

Spec list and pictures to follow when i get them :(

P.S. I wont hear a bad thing against a Micra, i have owned 5 and all where good lil cars in there own way :)

2) Is there a good website for buying parts, both standard and after market performance pieces, i am looking for a Blitz Nur-spec centre section as the exhaust has blown?

there is a parts/sales section here, check that out to find some stuff, toy tuning are recommended by many people, and you can get things imported from Japan using TC Trading

hope this helps

P.s. maybe the exhaust is blown due to the manifold?

Welcome to UKSC :rolleyes:

Take a good look on the site, theres lots of traders like ToyTuning, TC Trading etc who sell performance parts for the Starlet so theres lots of options :rolleyes:

Also the TOM's ecu would give a nice increase in performance over stock, is probably set to run a bar boost and has altered the fueling to cope with the increase in boost etc and also removed fuel cut I would imagine

Guest Enzo

hey buddy welcome to the club

starletgtturbo.co.uk

toytuning.com

fensport.co.uk

those are a start on some websites but there are a few more decent places in our traders section

3) What brakes can i fit to the car to uprate them or even buy new standard discs and pads for all round?

check our technical section under brakes for ideas but most brakes from the celica range and some corollas fit with some persuasion and modification

4) My Manifold has a crack on the casting on port 3 i think, will this cause me any major problems? I have plans of buying a stainless manifold at some point but is it necessary i do it sooner rather than later?

do it sooner

5) I believe i have a Hi. boost and Lo. boost controller i was planning on running 0.6 Bar and 1 Bar respectively, do i need any uprated parts over OEM to run the 1 Bar?

you need to sort out fualing ontop of a host of other mods to comfortably run a bar, if the cars standard budget on 2k spent on every area thats brakes, suspension, engine and breathing. thats doing it properly

6) Any other website i should bookmark for info, parts or jus a good read on the starlet?

yea sure

check out whitelines articles on handling they are a good read,

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/HPI_17_Starlet.htm

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/RH45_star_a.htm

hardcore.ep91.com

austarletclub.com

that should be enough to keep you goin :rolleyes:

when you have a moment could you fill in the rest of your profile fialds please

Thanks alot Enzo, I'll fill in my fields when i have finished going through all the new posts etc. for today.

Last night i looked into this forums with more detail and found ToyTuning... MMMMM some nice goodies there to be had :rolleyes: i bought this car thinking it wouldn need too much ... i was so wrong lol

I'm pretty skint so working loads of overtime in work just now get my bank balance back up then £1000 will be spent on my starlet so i can be happy lol

Thanks all for replies :rolleyes:

1) I have a Tom's ECU on the car and wondering what benefits this would have over the standard ECU, performance wise?

More aggressive fueling map, no speed limiter, gets rid of fuel cut, and possibly a higher rev limit..

http://www.starletgtturbo.co.uk or http://www.toytuning.com

Many differnet types avaliable, replace with new standard disc's, uprated standard discs and pads...levin Twin Pot conversion, willwood 4-pots with 3g discs, or some brembo discs and ap calipers...also braided lines are a good upgrade.

Do it sooner, i would also be sceptacle of buying a stainless one, as they are seceptable to cracking, so look for a mild steel one.

A HKS Actuator to raise the boost, you have the fuelling through the TOMS so thats fine, a free flowing exhaust, manifold and decat, air filter, FMIC, uprated fuel pump, also a good idea to have a good ignition system so Grade 7 iridium plugs, and uprated leads, and of course a boost gauge if you dont have one! If you wanted to keep it even colder, new 1.3 bar rad cap, heat reflective tape on the inlet track, and a sard thermostat (most probs forgotton something :rolleyes:)...but make sure you have the suspension and brakes to cope with the extra power. Best handling mods for the starlet is regarded as a rear anti-roll bar, and a anti lift kit.

http://www.starletgtturbo.co.uk (parts)

http://www.toytuning.com (parts)

On here for general info...

Rob

Thanks alot Rob for your more detailed reply on upgrading my OEM parts ;) some of the things on that list i have FMIC for example.

I was considering the stainless japspeed manifold or the one for sale on here by killamats, trouble i have on choosing is one is a small tubular manifold the other is measured length headers.

Basically going to change the manifold and center section in one go ASAP when i have bought the manifold so garage knows the work involved.

Enzo that would be great on the help front, so new to these cars i don't want to break it by doing something silly lol

Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

dont by a japspeed mani...i beleive their stuff is not very good..and as its stainless it will most probs crack...buy a good mild steel one...i would preferably look for a road runner one, but they are now rare and expensive..