priming the turbo and instructions::very important please read:::

Guest Enzo

to any of you that have purchased a turbo you must take steps to prime the turbo before operating,

i canot stress how important this is as this is the main cause of turbo failure of new turbos due to the seals failing

priming basicaly involves making sure the turbo is lubed up with oil and oil pressure is up to normal peramiters.

to start with obviusly change the old engine oil

take the kinglead off distributer cap so nono of the other leads get a spark (the one that goes into the middle in the pic)

kinglead.jpg

and cranck the engine over until the oilpressure light goes off on the dash (aprox 30 seconds)

et voila you have now primed the turbo,

Start engine and make it idle for a couple of minutes. Check for any oil or any air leakage. Stop engine immediately if any weird sounds are heard.

on a side note, the turbo should not need running in but if you have any mechanical sympathy its a good idea not to go hammer and tongs with the boost straight away.

hopefully that made some sense,

if any of you peeps are stuck or have any questions dont hesitate to ask :)

disclamer bit here

these turbos should only be fitted by qualified mechanics,

if you choose not to run a filter on the turbo this imidiatly voids the warrenty

can also do this with an electric drill on the crank pulley while the car is in neutral.

saves you raping the starter motor and also does it alot faster aswell.

and although the oil pressure lights goes off it still doesnt mean oil has reached the turbo.

it took about 2 minutes of cranking on mine to get oil to spit out of the bottom of the turbo. you should prime it with the return pipe off, and wait for it to start spitting.

just my 2 pence

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Yes mate you do very old post back from 2008, I would also get someone to watch the oil piss out of the oil return pipe when it does stop the engine put the oil return pipe/hose back on tighten it up with jubilee clip then start the engine and make sure the oil light goes out 👍

Thanks for the help guys wellhead when I do get round to fitting new setup as I didn't get round to swapping turbos today the new manifold I got fouls on the hot pipe so going to have to buy a short route pipe now