the keirz spec 1 hybrid pictures

right here is a little inside into my own custom hybrid. its not fully built yet as i need some custom bearings but its about there so thought i would share the pics. i may also get pics of vsr balancing if i get chance to show how its done. but here it is.............

first off here is the compressor wheels. the one on the left is the standard ct9. the other is whats going into my hybrid.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa001.jpg

the compressor cover has been trimmed out to take the bigger.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa013.jpg

this is the ct9 comp wheel in my modified compressor cover. look how small it looks in there, this shows how much has been taken outof the comp cover

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa015.jpg

heres the hybrid compressor wheel inside. this is better!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa016.jpg

not only has the comp cover been taken out but the bearing housing need to be too for the comp wheel to sit in.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa010.jpg

this is the stock ct9 wheel on the bearing housing to show how much this has been modified.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa008.jpg

and the hybrid wheel.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa009.jpg

next up is the turbine housing. its been ported firstly. pretty big hole for the wastegate, should help bypass more gasses to eliminate creep.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa017.jpg

it has also been taken out to fit my bigger shaft. here are the shafts. one is stock ct9 the other is going in my hybrid. its obvious which is which!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa003.jpg

heres the tiny ct9 shaft in my modified housing.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa021.jpg

heres the hybrid shaft. thats better!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa022.jpg

there is a lot of work that goes into hybrids, looking at the pics it may look easy to some. its not i assure you. the price people charge for hybrid units is very reasonable, this has took a lot of planning and obviously time and skill into machiening the parts. i think next time i will just buy a hybrid instead of building my own!

heres some pics. enjoy.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa029.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa030.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa026.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa028.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa035.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa037.jpg

its either off a vj34 (mazda) or a ct12B not 100% which one it is as they are very similar. i just hunted through a box of old wheels and found one thats a good size and correct fitment on the shaft, then took the cover out to except it .

it was done by myself and a mate at work. i rebuild turbos for a living, not usually hybrids thats why this one has took a while. my mate has experience in it and is very skilled. it was done mostly on a lathe. the comp cover can easily be held by the inlet, as long as you get it spining straight. some of the comp work was done by hand with a hand held dremal but most on the lathe.

the turbine housing is a little more tricky, but if you connect the bearing housing up its possible to grip in the lathe by the bearing housing. its just quite scary when the turbine housing is spinning, if it comes out you will be loosing your teeth.

the porting of the wastegate was drilled. i found a monster drill bit which was perfect for the flap size.

well basically the shaft have had damage to the bearing surfaces so its been repaired and been ground down. meaning stock ct12 bearings are slightly to big. so just using some slightly smaller internal diameter ct12 bearings.

this comp wheel is pretty big mate to be honest. its not an old style ct12 one as they are the same size if not smaller than the ct9 one. its from a vj34 mazda i believe, but its very similar to the ct12b which was much bigger than a ct12.

decided to not cut the blades back as what you gain top end ruins the bottom end.

as i said before im not building a monster hybrid, for now im taking the easier options and slightly improving over the ct9. while this one is on the car testing i will be planning the next hybrid. i have plans to mate a ct9 with a garret turbo compressor end , but i need to find the right combo.

ct9 a or b monka? whats up with yours, cracked wastegate i suspect?

the housing was off like a 15 year old turbo! we have a fair few old ct9 units. no ct9bs though. it was a rusty piece of shit to start with but i have worked my secret magic on it. all turbos built by us are done to this standard

yeah its a b, lol.

do you repair the cracks then, or did you just find one with out?

and this is quite a different hybrid, dont think many of the other hybrids about bother with exhaust wheel, most just cut back the blades. lol

well the housing is from a first gen ct9, that came on estimas and lucidias. because they only ran about 0000.01psi of boost they are pretty much all perfect with no cracks. the only problem is they wont a fit a ct9b im afraid mate.

had a few problem as my bearings arrived and they are still oversized so the ct12 shaft i had cant be used.................

so we went all out and took the housing out more to take a ct20 10 blade shaft. tommorow we are gonna polish up the compressor cover internally for better flow and also try and port the turbine housing more at the inlet end to get a better gas flow.

They dont modify the turbine housing and insert a larger turbine wheel because it is too labour intensive and people just dont want to pay., you can get away with cut back turbine blades as long as it has a suited comp wheel and is built well, but a larger, better design turbine wheel is better.

I have a good idea what the comp wheel if from and it aint Toyota :).

Dave

yeah its a b, lol.

do you repair the cracks then, or did you just find one with out?

and this is quite a different hybrid, dont think many of the other hybrids about bother with exhaust wheel, most just cut back the blades. lol

the one in shaft and comp wheel in the photos are not the ones that have gone in any more. the compwheel is now a toyota one. i beleive the one in the photo is a vj34.

the turbo is done here are the pics. the shaft looks fucking massive in there now. its a bigger shaft to the one pictured above. it might be going on tommorow. enjoy............

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa001.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa002.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa003.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa004.jpg

im seriously happy with this. its gonna pull very well i feel. we will se what sort of power it can make.

right its on lads, ive turned the boost up to a bar and reset the jam ecu. need to let the ecu settle again until it will run good.

thing is it feels really good until i reach close to full boost and then the clutch says fuck that and slips its ass off. need a new clutch really soon. spools up at about 2800 revs. a little more lag than i thought but i guess thats the big shaft.

also im still using the efi pipe for now. ive come up with a filter relocation plan just need to buy the bits to implement it.

overall i cant really say how much this thing pulls as the clutch is not loving it. but it feels pretty impressive so far.

im currently running this at 0.7bar only until i fix the clutch and get the fueling checked. all i can say is that the pull at this boost level is unreal from a ct9. it pulls a hell of a lot stronger than the old turbo at 1 bar. its well and truely efortless, a slight blip of the throttle and the car breezes through the mph with no hastle and very little lag and the turbo is hardly working yet.

ive never been in a big bhp starlet or even a hybrid one before so i wouldnt like to say what power its actually putting out, or how it compaired to others but time will tell.

when i get a front mounted filter, exhaust and clutch, i will whack it up to 1.1 bar and get a power run. i will put pics fitted in my car thread when i get chance to take some.

cheers. ive kinda came up with a crazy plan that involves a ct9/ct20/td04 hybrid for my next project, its only in the planning stage and it might not even be possible but i will investigate!

well i had this turbo and a zisco mani at the same time so i think it will be a good hike in bhp, so definatly noticed a huge gain. only time will tell what power its putting out though, but regardless of that power figure i like the way its going so its bhp is not that important to me.