Squeaking brakes when not breaking?

Went out for a rather spirited drive earlier after 2 mins of heavy breaking i was getting immense brake fade. Parked up to have a look at the brakes and the were mega hot, so hot they were smoking, burned my hand just touching the lug nuts. Anyway let the cool all seemed ok. Bit later on i start to get this mental squealing noise at low speeds but NOT when touching the brakes if i touch the brakes it stops. As i have no idea how brakes work is this just the pads worn and need replacing or is this something else? Its a ep91 n/a.

Cheers

I get the same on my GT, but i have new pads an disks to put on just waiting for my cusco bmcs and braided brake lines to arrrive before i make the change.

But, id say it was possibly something to do with worn brake pads rubbing on the disks.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Brake cover mate! Happened to me after a "spirited drive". The disc has a plate behind it that protects it, for some reason when they get hot the plate moves and scrapes against the disk. Just get something and push the plate back a bit to stop it from rubbing against the disc. Sorted <_<

Haha yeah! Reread and you say a squealing sound, this sounds more like a metal scraping agaisnt metal sound! So don't hold your breath- I could be completely wrong! lol

Just had a look at the brake covers and both were touching the disks so moved them back. Squeak went when i rolled in a straight line soon as i turned the wheels and used the brakes it was back again so now i dont no what it can be.......?

Yeah if you drove the crap outta it and the brakes overheated you could've warped the discs as Jay suggested, so as they spin through the caliper they would vibrate a lot, but not really squeal I wouldn't have thought! At least you stopped the brake covers touching but if its only when you brake it must be something to do with the actual calipers/discs!

Yeah first thing i thought was shit ive warped the disks but there is no vibrations or any difference in brake pedal or stearing. Dont have the tools to get all the front jacked up so i think ill go let the garage have a look in a bit. Didnt realise how shit my brakes were till yesterday, defo gonna be first think i upgrade when i get my glanza now. Thanks for all the advice so far.

• 1 month later...

Did you get the squeak sorted?

I changed my front disc's for 3g 10 grooved & mintex 1144's.

Got a sqeak atm, not sure if its a bedding in squeak or a problem squeak?!

Just done my brakes this morning.

may have been riding the brake if they overheated that quickly, even stock brakes should provide some stamina even during a spirited drive, especially if it was late (i.e cooler) and not on a boiling hot day.

it took me a good 10mins to overheat mine on an airfield track day, on one of the worst airfields this side of the country for brakes (its absolutely devestating on tyres and brakes), however i was stamping on the brakes too early, and riding them somewhat. learnt after a while to stamp on them harder but later, gave them more of a chance to cool down (i.e wasn't actually on the brakes for so long), seemed to extend their life for much longer.

either that or you may have sticking calipers as above (might have been staying on even after releasing the brake pedal).

• 1 month later...