Basically, it happens when youre dumpvalve spring is too tight, or youre not using one.

To sum it up, the built up pressure doesnt get released via a bov, so it has no where to go but back through the turbos impellor backwards..

Which means the turbos spinning up, then as the pressure reverses backwards through it, it suddenly spins backwards..

As it does this, the impellor blades cut the air up and make a chattering noise..

Not healthy for the turbo, but it wont instantly kill it.Sometimes you cant help it.

When theres alot of pressure built up, it will sound like a high pitched squeek, much like the hks ssqv bov noise.

At lower pressure it will flutter or chatter.

To clear it up, its NOT wastegate chatter, it has nothing what so ever to do with the wastegate opening or closing.

Literally just the air going one way, then instantly reversing causing the blades of the turbo to reverse and chop the air up.

If you like it, but an adjustable bov and tighten the spring so it only releases when theres high pressure..Or remove it etc.

If you dont like it, soften the spring or fit a bov if you havent got one.

Hope thats easy enough to understand bud.

Craig

yer mate i got it. crystal clear.

i love the noise of it tho. After seeing Night Spirits car on youtube.

How can i achieve that sound. Without turbo stall, as its not to healthy for your turbo.

Im sure wastegates sound familiar. Bu

• 2 months later...

no mate they wont spin backwards on a ct9 i should think.. the noise is created by them just slowing down.

when they spin backwards thats compressor surge

and who cares if you fuck it up.. its only a ct9 which are pence to replace

yes as fishy said it doesnt instantly start spining backwards ity just slows down very very quickly untill it get to the speed the air is traveling through the bine then the chatter/flutter stops

its not necisarily bad for your bine but its not foing it any favours

ive know people run with flutter for year and also people do it for a month and the bine lets go

i run with no D/V and flutters like mad but its only a CT9 as fishy said so next to nothing to replace

when i go for a bigger tubby ill prob put a recirc on as i cant stand BOVs

don't mean to sound all rightous or anything but alot of that is incorrect...............don't be mad at me for point that out :p

firstly with compressor surge, do you mean lift off surge or full load surge as there different

Wastegate flutter is compressor surge, although it has nothing to do with the wastegate, and a turbocharger will never spin backwards and therefor doesn't have a name

if you want me to go into more detal i can but don't want to come off all big headed. lol

Tim

TB Developments

i was goin 2 say most of the "surge" u hear is just turbo flutter true surge is where the turbo is way 2 big for the car and it has a strange surge point.... it sounds like flutter only it is crazy when the car is at full noise and isnt good for turbo or motor when this one occurs... if u have seen it it will scare ya lol i shit my self first time i seen it

thats actually the same thing again, its basically just an increased load on the compressor and pushes the operating point over the surge line on the compressor map

like when you say the turbo is mismatched for the car and is trying to force air in to quickly than the engine can consume it, hense getting surge, or when you lift off the throttle. TB closes but the turbo is still being powered, pressure builds up and load and again pushes it into the surge part of the map

Tim

TB Developments

don't mean to sound all rightous or anything but alot of that is incorrect...............don't be mad at me for point that out :)

lolz dont be sorry for correcting people thats what forums are made for to learn stuff etc

what i want to know is how we got onto the subject of surge when the topics about turbo stall

lolz

• 3 weeks later...

sorry not been on this thread for a while as i'm still not getting topic replies :p

well turbo stall and surge is the same thing, surge is the technical name for it as thats what its doing, you lift off the throttle body closes which inturn adds increased resistance or "load" to the turbocharger, this will then push the compressor map into the surge portion, creating that fluttering or chirping sound often called stall or "wastegate chatter" despite it having nothing to do with a wastegate at all.

Tim

TB Developments

ps, mods if you can get these email topic replies to work that would be great, the money for my runabout starlet has been spent of getting the unit going but i will have one eventually so want to keep upto date on this forum.