thanks for all your advice on my suspension problems

i have decided to buy a set of D2 coilovers as tein springs+ koni shocks work out not much cheaper than coilovers

when they are fitted, i want to realign my suspension

as i work for a honda main dealer, i have instant access to the 4 wheel alignment machine.

looked up all the cars it has saved on the system. it has the UK EP81 (non turbo) but no EP82

I would ask my local toyota main dealer. but i know they have the same machine with the same settings as i worked there for 4 years!!!! (my apprentiship)

i also couldn't get an answer from toyota GB when i phoned them

Civic type R settings are different from the 3 dr sport but they have the same suspension so i figure its different for the starlet

• 3 weeks later...

i now have the settings!!!

these i got from my sun 4wa machine (well, not mine, more like where i work :p )

EP82 (uk non-turbo)

min pref. max

caster: 0deg 40mins 1deg 25mins 2deg 10mins

camber: -1deg -0deg 15mins 0deg 30mins

SAI: 12deg

indivdual

toe: -0deg 03mins 0deg 03mins 0deg 09mins

total toe: -0deg 06mins 0deg 06mins 0deg 18mins

all front measurements, no rear info im afraid, i think its because its all torsion beam or they didn't have the info at the time

EP91 uk non turbo

min pref. max

front

caster: 0deg 40mins 1deg 25mins 2deg 10mins

camber: -1deg -0deg 15mins 0deg 30mins

SAI: 11deg 20mins 12deg 05mins 12deg 50mins

indivdual

toe: -0deg 03mins 0deg 03mins 0deg 09mins

total toe: -0deg 06mins 0deg 06mins 0deg 18mins

rear

camber: -1deg 15mins -0deg 30mins 0deg 15mins

individual

toe: 0deg 0deg 10mins 0deg 20mins

total toe: 0deg 0deg 20mins 0deg 40mins

i work at supertyres in maldon essex (www.super-tyres.co.uk) and all i do all day everyday is alignments!

camber helps cornering, the more neg the better it will do so.

my ep82 adv is now set to -1degree.

caster helps maintain straight line stability.

this is fixed just make sure it is fairly even!

toe is where the compromise is. toe out will distroy the outside edges but give much faster turning into corners. toe in will be slower cornering but much kinder to your tyres.

the rear is all fixed! however what i would recomend is -1.30 neg camber. and the toe set to about parallel! again as long as it even its not to much bother! you can adjust the rear with shims packing out the rear stub axle, not easy but well worth the hassle if you want the handling!

my 82 is a track car and with how it handles there i think youd all be smiling.

gimmie a shout if you want some help!

• 5 weeks later...

I need four new tyres an want my geometery set you right. Wee John where did you get your suspension aligned, dont have much faith in the local firms and they charge £80 for 4wa.

Also any suggestions on a good tyre that will last more than a few thousand miles?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I rememeber this thread lol. In the end I bought toyota camber bolts that WeeJohn had milled down and whiteline anti-lift kit.

Great job. Did you know toyota released new narrower camber bolts for the starlet to allow more adjustment.

Good times had by all I thinks