I was driving upto inverness today (about 140 miles) when halfway there I pulled over for a pee then boosted out the laybay (this being the first time in the journey I relly revved or pushed the car) when there was a muffled noise and the boost gauge started going mad with a loss of power. ;)

I pulled over imediately and the car was idling like an impreza, when revved it was obvious it was only running on 2 or 3 cylinders and there was also a little smoke comig from out the oil filler cap. I checked for loose plugs or wires etc and couldn't see anything obvious.

I've just got home with the car on the back of a recovery truck, so any ideas what the problem is? I'm thinking a shot piston ring, I was gonna do a compression test tomorrow to find the missing cylinder (or 2) then test the injectors to see if one of them is the cause. However since it happened under load I'm reckoning something internal broke. :p

start with cheakin the simple things first mate like the distributor witch the leads come from and cheak for water in the oil this could be the signs of a multple of small things popping at once.

my 4e-fte done this randomly had just came back from a trip to edinburgh had done about 100 miles then sounded like a scooby it ended up being a dodgy connection in the distributor

The results are in...finally.

Well I'd say their fairly conclusive, on a cold engine, ten second crank I got:

Cylinder 1: 159psi

Cylinder 2: 161psi

Cylinder 3: 004psi

Cylinder 4: 001psi (Just)

Would a blown head gasket give this bad results? Or are both pistonss shot in 3 and 4? I might try a wet test after lunch but the starters not got much life in it.

I love this car!

I'm hoping its just the head gasket, it sounded like an impreza on idle and a ducati when revved.

I stopped pretty much straight away and have only idled and revved the engine a little since.

There's no other signs of the gasket being blown though, you sure it would be that rick? I'll hopefully get the head off son to check it fo sure.

Pos car! :)