Auto to Manual: ECU

Does anybody know if an ECU from a manual GT needs to be fitted when carrying out an auto to manual conversion?

I've heard people saying no, but I don't understand how the car is supposed to run right with a 5 speed manual gearbox when using a 4 speed auto ECU?

We have done this conversion and running the Auto ECU as advised, but the car is not as quick as it should be. It doesn't hit full boost, only gets to about three quarters of the way up on the stock boost guage. It also slightly judders at about 2200 revs for a split second.

I have changed the spark plugs today even though the car has only been serviced recently but the judder is still there.

The engine management light is also on but I'm told that's because some of the sensors that belong on the Auto box are not connected up? Gonna get a diagnostics test done this week anyway.

The car is completely stock with the stock BOV removed as I broke the fixing on the EFI pipe. I will be getting an aftermarket one for it asap. homer.gif

Any ideas would be great!

Does anyone also know if the manual ECU will plug straight in? I don't think it will but someone will know better?! And if not, can the wiring be modified to fit or will I need the manual wiring loom?

• 6 months later...
Does anybody know if an ECU from a manual GT needs to be fitted when carrying out an auto to manual conversion?

I've heard people saying no, but I don't understand how the car is supposed to run right with a 5 speed manual gearbox when using a 4 speed auto ECU?

We have done this conversion and running the Auto ECU as advised, but the car is not as quick as it should be. It doesn't hit full boost, only gets to about three quarters of the way up on the stock boost guage. It also slightly judders at about 2200 revs for a split second.

I have changed the spark plugs today even though the car has only been serviced recently but the judder is still there.

The engine management light is also on but I'm told that's because some of the sensors that belong on the Auto box are not connected up? Gonna get a diagnostics test done this week anyway.

The car is completely stock with the stock BOV removed as I broke the fixing on the EFI pipe. I will be getting an aftermarket one for it asap. homer.gif

Any ideas would be great!

Does anyone also know if the manual ECU will plug straight in? I don't think it will but someone will know better?! And if not, can the wiring be modified to fit or will I need the manual wiring loom?

Hi Idrees,

Sorry for the topic bump - late answer,

I've got a 4E-FTE that came out of of a black EP8x automatic frontcut. Right after the conversion, I drove(?) a manual transmission (also EP8x ECU).

When I was doing some stuff at a local garage from a friend, we hooked the Corolla (yes, not a Starlet) up to check the emission figures, and we discovered that the engine was running WAY to rich. It would also NOT pas the dutch version of MOT. I could feel that after placing the 'automatic' ECU it picked up much better. MOT emission figures where excellent after that! Instead of running 10 kilometres on 1L with the wrong ECU, I can get 13 kilometres on the good ECU if I control my right foot :)

by the way, I had a special wiring loom made to connect the first wiring loom to the automatic ECU. A 'converter' . When removing that second loom I can drive with the manual ECU.

Cheers,

Marco.

Thanks dude.

This is a really old topic! :)

I used a Glanza Manual ECU and all was good.

So, you used a Glanza manual ECU for your automatic EP8 4E-FTE. And there no problems with running too rich+ emission problems (MOT)?

Do you have some more information about how & what. Reason why is that I am looking for an aftermarket ECU. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing (maybe in Japan) made for the automatic ECU/4E-FTE.

What I am asking is: Does a manual Glanza ECU work without modifications on the automatic EP8 FTE? :):)