so i have spent the last two years working as a surveyor and studying for my HNC as a surveyor. that is now finished.

so i apply to uni to do as my colleagues have previously done and apply to start second year uni.

but guess what... the guy at the uni says you now need 10 out of twelve passes in the HNC to be merits in order to gain access to second year. i have 2... so excellent.. the goal posts have moved...

so now i am in the position where i have to start the courst from scratch and basically re-learn everything i have done in the past two years, whats worse, is that i had the entry requirements for the uni two years ago.

so in essence, why i am pissed off? i have wasted two years of my career chasing a piece of paper that has effectively got me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

why is my boss pissed off? cause he wasted damn near 1000 quid to get that stupid piece of paper. and he now has an apprentice 8 GOD DAMN YEARS from any kind of professional recognition.

fantastic innit?

I half know where you are coming from mate.

I have done an HNC before in Software Development part time.

Im now topping it up this year with an HND in the same, part time also, 2 days a week.

It was a two year course but I made sure I got good enough grades. Probably the best work I ever did.

They were all merits and distinctions and the teaching was very good. Im not a model student by the way...

I know its tough as it sounds a shitter how things have turned out and easy for me to say but all the best with what you do next,

and if you decide to do the HNC again, make sure you work harder to get better than passes.

Peace

Joz

Sometimes this Uni and College malarky seems more hassle than it's worth.

I feel bad for you mate, 2 years is a long time to study to be told you then need to re-do it all over again.

I never bothered with Uni or anything, I wanted to work straight away too much.

its not that i have to re-do the HNC... its that the first year of uni is pretty much the same subjects i done on the HNC...

Get you now mate.

Would have been ideal to jump to 2nd year of Uni, are you still going ahead with it?

Is the uni course two years or more?

Joz

im currently half way through my HNC, after which i'll jump into the BSc and skip 2years of it, pretty much no matter what grades i end up with, which is awesome, as it'll be a 5year BSc in 3years, which is lush.

I may completely change career paths though, as i'm bored shitless. May go study law, it'll be another 4-5years and a complete change and full time uni etc, but fuck it, i'd be a pro lawyer. pwning nubs etc.

all that time learning. lol no way.

i would love to earn loadsa money but without the hassle of going to uni and stuff.

i hate some of the people i have met over the years that have been born into daddys business and there sorted for life.

one kid i used to know through a mate was an apprentice at his dads printing company doing all sortsa stuff. didnt realise how much they get paid untill he pulled up in a s3 at 19 and it was bought by himself. think he was on 40 grand at 19 lol.

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

my driving instructor also worked at a printing firm and was a supervisor at 19 and he had (and smashed up) a Renault 5 Turbo lol, he said he used to work 3 days a week and get paid £1000 a week, and that was like 10+ years ago :)

depends how far he wants to take it

and i must add, its 8 years for me as i will be doing it around working full time

if he wants to leave it at a HNC then he will essentially be an assistant - 2 years

if he takes it to BSC then he will be a surveyor, - probably about 6 years total

RICS creditation and he is a chartered surveyor, - about 7 years total depending how good you are.

what field is he doing it? building surveyor, valuation? quantity? etc?

good man, its quantity surveying im in.

its a long course, my advice would be get a job in a surveying firm, the experience in my opinion is worth more than the bit of paper.

bit of paper and uni won't tell you how to deal with contractors, who in essence are quite honestly pricks