Why does my car sound like a tractor?

Hi all,

As above really. I have a new mint full system but at low revs it sounds like a tractor and at hight revs it sounds like a racing tractor. It didn't sound like this at all on the sellers car so why does it on mine??? It sounds like there is no exhaust on.

If it helps i have a gutted cat and the system is a straight through system. Please help asap as it is starting to get a bit loud. It sets car alarms off and my neighbours have already complained.

Cheers

Bourkey

The system is practically brand new. It has no cracks what so ever. I've even put my hand along it as the car was running and there isn't a bit of air leaking. Here are some piccys

P200908_1828.jpg

P200908_182801.jpg

P200908_1830.jpg

P210908_1147.jpg

P210908_1202.jpg

Im so confused as to what it could be.

Bourkey

So basically anything can affect how loud it is. Brilliant. Im going to try and put a spare cat i have back on the car. Do you reckon this will shut it up considerably? I tried to do it earlier but the sun went down so i had to put it back together.

Bourkey

I no on the net there are some nice apexi silencers however make sure it is an active baffler, if you have a turbo as it will sap power if it aint chek dis out

http://www.nengun.com/apexi/active-tail-silencer

I also agree it sounds like the car doesnt have the correct compression in the exhaust system, try the cat or baffler, failing that tune your car more to get more exhaust gases giving the exhaust greater compression :mellow::):p

hope this helps

Carswelk

Right today the silencer or bung or whatever it's called is in. It sounds like it's farting a bit but it's cut the noise down massively. It just looks crap with the silencer in the end. The guy i got it off also had a de-cat which im considering buying.

I also have an Autobhan mani that i got super cheap. It's braced as well so hopefully it wont crack but will this make the car even louder??? Im going to try to put the cat back in again tonight but if all else fails im going with Dub's idea of putting in a middle box.

Bourkey

just to help you out a bit, i have a 2.5" exhaust straight from the turbo with no silencers or cat and a 4" jap backbox and well it sounds like a johndeere tractor :) but i love it for some strange reason lol, i think puttin the cat back on will hep alot but cant be sure, hope this helps, cheers starlybruiser :mellow: .

I hope putting the cat back on does work. It's a right pain in the ass messing about changing it. Im yet to find out if has worked though as i changed the mani at the same time. That is a whole job that i should have done on its' own.

My best piece ofadvice would be to definately get a mani as i took mine off and the restriction is unbelievable but, get someone else to do it. I have very painful hands right now and it's not even full sorted yet!!!

Bourkey

it'll be the gutted cat causing some of it mate... mine was the same, it really makes a difference sound wise with a proper decat, but even so, mine still sounds a bit tractory at low revs...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...