Engine bay tidy up

Had a major service done today and wanted to clean up a few parts. seen a few people polish up their rocker covers was thinking what tools they used for this. Seen a few cheap dremels on ebay but what 'Bit' was used they all look too small and would take hours to sand the rocker

Any sugestions links?

theres a chap on here that will do it for you for quite a competitive price. but his name escapes me

otherwise i think he spends a good few hours sanding them with sand paper and using metal polish to get up a good shine afterwards

I dont mind doing it myself to be honest i liek to get my hands dirty. Ive seen a few methods using a simple drill and a special drill bit and just blitz away at the cover. Ive done a few with plain old elbow greese with a sheet of sand paper. But not lookign to do that again lol. With a dremel i would think youd get a better fisnish. Someone done it on here the other day was readign the post

I would think thats the same chap as im on about, his work was astonishing.

but i know what you mean on the "sod the elbow grease" and such.. too much effort and that lol

the other method might be an electric sander?

Dont think the electirc sander will be able to get into the tight spots like the cover has. Ive got a drill just lookign for the drill piece ive seen used before. I guess ill find it. Any good laquaer to be used?

once all looking good,just use normal laquer i guess.. it will hold the shine

otherwise mate, if your looking to clean up other bits, get a little polishing cloth and some metal polish, and scrub away at your inlet manifold, it will come up lovely!

The spelling of it I'm not sure, something like nitro mores.. its basically some very evil stuff.. but poor some onto it and give is a quick brush and everything will come off the cover! recommend taking the cover off the engine before you poor this stuff on otherwise you'll be seeing how the engine works inside! This stuff will take any pain and dirt off and leave you with jus the bare metal, then all you need to do is use fine sand paper to smooth it off and some god old polish and you're done ;) Not done it personally but thats what I hear people who do this do..

Sound like some strong degreaser :-D lol i no if i put some time into it i could get it looking good with just sand paper. But wanted it perfect so ive just bought a dremel just need to find a drill piece which will last long enough to clear the full surface. Ive got some metal polish but was thinking just spraying a clear coat over it as ive got some industrial laquer

Nitro morse aka paint stripper to get it back to bare metal, wipe it over get some metal polish (autosol) and a polishing mop/buffing tool on the end of a drill and keep going till your happy

Will be doing mine soon ;)

Just got back from B&Q! Bought a cheap as drill and a sanding blade and a metal wire mop to bring the metal to a shine. Worked out cheaper than buyign a new Dremel. Also forgot to buy a polishing piece so have to wait to get that before i can start. I find autosol leave a dull grey look and not as Chrome as i would like. Ive heard autoglym metal polish not to bad ethier.

While typing this just been in the garage and praticed on the megane not a bad result seeign as i left the rocker on the car lol :-D

have you got any images of it mate?

i used to autosol by hand so dint get it perfect. i shall seek out a buffing pad drill piece next weekend as havnt got much time to do it tonight and need the glanza. Oh i must add what a pain to get the standard font 'Strut Brace' off

have you got any images of it mate?

i used to autosol by hand so dint get it perfect. i shall seek out a buffing pad drill piece next weekend as havnt got much time to do it tonight and need the glanza. Oh i must add what a pain to get the standard font 'Strut Brace' off

CIMG9599.jpg

How the hell can you findit hrd to get the strut brace off!? Its only 4 nuts. ;)