Wiring a Rev Gauge

justget a electrion to do it for £5

thats what im doing

I'd rather attempt it myself.

I'm completely lost though, in another topic that diagram is saying pin #7 on the 26 pin side is used for the rev signal, but there's no wire in pin number 7... lol, hopeless.

Go for it ste..im sure its pin 7 i tried to find a site for you earlier and a few forums mentioned pin 7....use speaker wire its not exactly a high power aplication to melt the wire?

as for igntn the only thing that comes to mind is the cd player

you might aswell try it n see if it works bud most of the knowledgeable people will be on later i assume.

Found a better diagram:

http://www.ep91.com//attachment.php?attach...mp;d=1177552871

On connector 2, pin #9 is switched battery power, I think that's the one I need for the power to the gauge?

As for the pin number 7 - ignition feedback, even though there's nothing in there should I whack it in there anyway? Or should I go for pin #21...

Half of these posts can probably be deleted... anyway, I'm going to go to Maplin tommorow to pick up some stuff and attempt to do a proper job of it.

Going to get some wire and connectors and whatever else I might need.

If someone could delete the useless posts in here it would clear up any confusion.

I've got two wires which are confusing me now. The RPM signal and the light.

The power I think I can take from the headunit as that's only on when the car is on... simple. (Not that I use the casette player anyway :D )

Ground is easy.

Which leaves me with the two wires.

Can someone clarify what colour wire in the ECU it is I need to splice in to? I am pretty certain it's a yellow one but want to make sure (going by the wiring diagram it's a yellow wire).

And for the light, where can I splice into for the light to come on when I switch the lights on?

Hi mate,

I've just installed two Rpm gauges (An Autogauges one, and a superior Trisco one) to my glanza so this is fresh in my mind, it will be the same for a uk spec starlet too.

Dont bother trying to splice into the ecu rpm wire, mine got no reading. Dave burwash recommended using the distributor as the best rpm source. The best way is to feed the green rpm wire through the firewall into the engine bay and get it near the distributor, this is the component that the king spark lead plugs into. There will be a connector that plugs into it with two black wires coming out of it. You need to splice into the negative wire of the two. Use a scotch block blade connector to branch onto it.

That is the best source of rpm mate, the rest of the wiring is pretty easy, just live, ground and possibly ignition or lighting dim which I either would leave or splice into the live.

Hope that helps mate.

Sounds better tbh, rather not mess around with the ECU if possible.

But I have read that you can get the RPM signal from the diagnostics box in the engine bay?

Also, the 4EFE distributor doesn't use a king lead like the 4EFTE does. But the wires for the RPM signal are still there yeah?

That's sorted then, the only one I'm left with now is the one for the light...

fucking electrics :D

My dad went out in the car tonight, and it fucking conked out after he put the heater on!

So obviously it's something to do with me messing around yesterday, I didn't cut any wires or pull anything out other than the two wire block things that plug into the ECU. I'm 99% sure all it is is something has come loose.

Any ideas anyone?

side note -

Also he said before it conked out it seemed like it had more power - I hadn't reset the ECU since I changed the air intake pipe and filter, so I think when i had the wires out of it yesterday it's also reset the ECU.

Still no replies? :harhar:

I've got a few meters of wire and some proper wire connectors now so it's good to go, just need to know where to get the wires for the light and the rev signal from.

Also need to sort out my dodgy ECU wire problem. :thumbsup:

Still annoying though, what could have realisticly taken 20 minutes has taken a good half of a day or two... if I had known what to do in the first place.

Oh well I suppose I can write up a little "how to" later on, but it will be pictureless (not that you need pictures really).