Temperature needle bouncing

Right, Just been to Sheffield and back via Snake Pass :). On the way there my temperature needle dropped quite a bit due to me having the heaters blasting away. After turning the heaters off it went back to normal. A few more miles down the road and the needle was bouncing up and down all the time. One second it was reading normal temperature then it is sat at the bottom like the car is off. Then it shoots back to normal again. It was doing it all the way back from Sheffield as well. Then on the motorway it read zero again and stayed there for about ten minutes and went back to normal again.

Can anyone help. I want this sorted as nothing has caused me any problems for a while.

Cheers

Bourkey

seems like your gauge/cluster is frubard....doupt it can be your thermo or anything mechanial you engine still has the price tag on it i say its electrical........anyway isn`t it about time we saw some nice defis in there?? (also for me n craig to mess about with n try not to break obviously)

Did i mention i've just moved out :). Defi's are like the price of a house. Maybe sometime in the future B).

Anyway i've been given a few ideas of what it could be like the actual sensor itself or a bad earth in the engine bay. Im going to have a look tomorrow if the weather is any better. I was supposed to be going to Sheffield agan today but i couldn't be bothered as im shattered.

If anyone comes up with any ideas give us a shout.

Bourkey

i agree with u there bourkey,

sounds like a bad sensor conection or bad earth some where,

i cant see it being the instrument cluster itself as they are like an item to last the lifetime of the car.

the coolant temp sensors are on the thermostat housing on them engines i think so mite be worth checking that, wiring and earths.

let us no how it goes

Gary

Bourke!! its gotta be the earth we`ve just had a 02 plate scenic and it was doing the exact same thing as you described (head has just been done etc) and it was the earth on the battery which was causing the problems.....check that first :)