HELP! Hit something and knackered my steering

Driving to a party last night in the dark and the rain and I drove over something that went BUMP...Scraaaaaape underneath the car.

It now feels like I'm driving on a skidpan and I'm constantly having to correct the steering to stay straight.

Also my passenger seat no longer slides violently forward when I lift the lever, it's gone stiff.

I must have really messed something up underneath for it to affect the seat rail alignment in the car right? B)

I now have to find a garage on the Sunday before christmas that can have a look and tell me what I've done and then try to get it fixed for christmas, it's just not going to happen is it :)

I have no alternative transport as I dropped my motorbike on ice and mud a few weeks back.

Gutted isnt the word B)

Anyone on here got any ideas what I could have done?

Chris

hi mate, first things first, jack it up and have a look on the underneath. if its pulling to one side u may have bent the driveshaft, or twisted the wishbone. as for your seat i doubt it was to do with the bump because if it was you must have a huge dent in the floor, and you would know about it if you did, just have a look on both sides and check for anything that looks bent or twisted.

if nothing is bent or twisted, keep your car jacked up (at the front) and move the steering wheel side to side, you could use a second pair of hands to look while your moving the steering, you might be able to see then what it is thats making it like a boat.

hope this helps, let me know bud.

Shit doesnt sound good, the first thing to go would be the bottom arm so at least it will need one of them, maybe a track rod end

You wont know till its jacked up and you have a good look though :)

Jacked it up at my Dad's and found the problem immediately. I must have been pretty central on what I hit as all front suspension is fine. It has taken a chunk off the gearbox but just a fin thankfully (1/4" to the right and I'd have been screwed). It has scraped the cat (but still ok) and dented the middle section. It scraped the underside of my 'half-full' petrol tank (if it had gone through, metal on metal, sparks plus petrol, doesn't bear thinking about :) ). So far, not so bad. And finally... The back axle/anti-roll bar/wheel hub assembly was a lovely banana shape B) The back wheels were 'toeing in' badly. I found a garage that has heated it up and beat the f*ck3r straight to get me through christmas. Gonna source a second hand replacement and get it replaced in the new year. Not a small job though so labour costs are gonna be biiiig B) I love my car though and cant afford a new one. Anyone got a rear axle? :p

Hi Chris, hows it going mate, your wheels have been really good, tyres are great - still got plenty of tread left! :)

On the other hand, goodluck getting your problem sorted hopefully it wont be too expensive.