Has anyone done a drift school?

I really fancy doing a drift school next year, I fancy an R32 Skyline or a Sylvia of some sort too... I've resisted for so long but the force is too strong! ^_^

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I could go? There are a couple at Silverstone, Lydd and some up North but word of mouth is the best way of telling whats good and what's bad!

Cheers

empty truck park on a wet day ^^

best way to learn the basics. if youve never had a car sideways before, you wont benefit fully from those drift schools if you have to spent most of the day getting used to your car.

also, id recommend an s14 if you want to start learning. they are cheap and easy to mod.

As said your best of learning in your on car, getting the basics sussed and then possibly going to a drift school, you dont want to be there all day just learning the basics when you can have a play somewhere quiet ^_^

That way you can move onto the technical stuff which can be alot more dangerous and shouldnt be attempted on the roads

as above, its not cheap, at all. i dont do it, firstly because im no good at it (nowhere to practice), and secondly because i wouldnt want to spend the money repairing the car when it breaks. dont get me wrong, i would love to, but i have better things to spend my money on, other than tyres, clutches, diffs etc.

if i had a battered little s13 i may give it a go, but then again thats another car to run, and again, most expense. i have some winter tyres to try on, but again, there isn't the space round here to try it out, and street drifting is for people who should be shot.

Drifting is excellent fun, but 200sx/Skyline ownership isn't for the poor/skint. In the past year I've spend a good 2-3K on Engine bits (including 2 rebuilds). I also needed a new clutch and gearbox.

thats because you have a shitty CA mate ^^

but ye, it is pricey, but anything involving fun and cars is, i suppose.

you could probably get a decent 14, with some bits on to get it sideways for funs for a few grand. its when you want to step up and start getting good, and you have to start spending proper money on geometry and suspension bits.

^^ and you have a bee*r lol!

no point going drifting in an R32, youd have to buy poverty spec one for it to be rwd or get a gtr and fook around with a torque split converter.. you dont want to be binning a R32 either mate, there to gorgeous!

teach yourself in a saino's carpark after hours lol, its cheaper and youl learn the car without spending hundreds of quids.. as mentioned earlier i think it would be usefull but only justifiable when you can already drift to make you better ^_^

silvia is the way to go without doubt if you want to become one of "the drifter lot" lol ^_^

^^ and you have a bee*r lol!

no point going drifting in an R32, youd have to buy poverty spec one for it to be rwd or get a gtr and fook around with a torque split converter.. you dont want to be binning a R32 either mate, there to gorgeous!

teach yourself in a saino's carpark after hours lol, its cheaper and youl learn the car without spending hundreds of quids.. as mentioned earlier i think it would be usefull but only justifiable when you can already drift to make you better ^_^

silvia is the way to go without doubt if you want to become one of "the drifter lot" lol ^_^

well, not entirely correct :p

a cheap little r32 gts-t with an RB20 is more than good enough for drifting, in fact they're very bloody good, as its a torquey little motor, can have em for alot less than 2grand also, plus they're very strong in the drivetrain region, obviously.

thats the sort of discussion that gets people in trouble mate, drifting in a car park etc is private property, but the company who owns it can still prosecute, all have cameras etc and can easily track you down, so no, its not a good idea at all.

trampdrift is ideal if you want to slide about with others who dont know much, and most will have cheap crap cars also.

also what you on about bee*r? rick doesn't have one of those pieces of crap, they're a pile of shite. the only rev limiter one should need is their right foot :p

cheap s14 would be a safe bet though if you cant find a decent r32 gts-t, a stage1 s14 could be had for WELL under 2k, and will do the job nicely. weld the diff and it'll drift like a nutter, wont be much use round town as it'll be clunking and jumping all over the place, but still, it'll go sideways pretty damn easily.

you dont need much power to go sideways, with stock tyres/wheels mine would kick out at less than stock boost. if you have decent sized wheels/tyres (mine are 17x9" atm) then it does calm things down somewhat, but if you do mod the engine (stage2 is where i am, remapped accordingly) then it does liven things up considerably, in which you can often find the back end walking out well up into third gear, which can really catch you out at times and be almost dangerous.

its all about how deep are your pockets mate tbh, everyone above has offered reasonable sound advise, just dont try it on the road, you WILL hit something, or someone, or get busted, either way, its bad.

true true, my reference was more aimed at the fact that 32 gts'ts do look pony out the box.. but i have never had any experience of the RB20..

lol i am in no way encouraging drifting in car parks, it terribly chavvy i was just joking about!

and i didnt say rick had one, i meant that the reason rubix cube has had two engine rebuilds is possibly and i have a huge suspicion the bee*r has something to do with that.. there are appauling little shit boxes!

but as ecks said, silvia's seem to step out for fun.. i say silvia all the way ^_^

You can pay and go to the BDC practise days too. I believe you dont need a BDC license to go to it, because thats normally where they test you for licenses as well if you want.

Not sure when or where the next one is, but they get posted up on Driftworks website when their on.

I'll enquire with my mate Marc and see if he knows anything, he came 2nd in the Pro-Am BDC Class last year. Dude is crazy! 120mph+ Manji'ing up a runway, limiter, 5th gear.

Oh no, I've started a off a Nissan vs. Nissan fight! ^_^

Thanks for your advice everyone, really good advice to get me thinking.

It's very true what you are saying, no point in learning something that you can't use every day. It's not ideal to do it on the roads as everyone is saying, chances are I'd try it once and that once is when I'd end up in a ditch.

I'm just looking at the next progression, there are quite a few big bhp turbo Jap motors around here and my little Starlet doesn't quite have the same impact!

What do I do next? a 4efte or maybe a 5efe conversion???!!!

Oh and for the record, I think I'd have to have an S14 like the K's Office one in the Drift Bible if I was going for a RWD turbo ^_^

120k SR? you mean like daves on a stock bottom end that was smashing out over 450bhp with 125k on the clock?!?!

you bloody haggis muncher.

also, cheap s13 or s14 will do the job, the s13 wont drift as well out of the box (they're more prone to understeer, its safer but less helpful when trying to drift), but they have the better drum handbrake to help counteract that.