what is a good boost cotroller?

hi guys im about to pick up my starlet on wedensday :lol: . i want to get a bootst controller fot it but...im not sure wich are good and how much they cost??

or what is even involved in fitting? :lol:

any help much appreciated

cheers pete

Best oner in my mind is the blitz ibc-i colour. They retail for about £700 but can tune to 2.5bar boost! I can get them for £400 if you want one! They take a little time to wire in, not a massive job :lol:

Best oner in my mind is the blitz ibc-i colour. They retail for about £700 but can tune to 2.5bar boost! I can get them for £400 if you want one! They take a little time to wire in, not a massive job :lol:

the glanza im getting will be running about 180-190bhp, so are they all as expensive? i dont plan to go any higher than 1.2bar on a hybrid a bit later on so are there cheaper options??

thanx pete

Yeah HDI have just brought out a new one! Dunno what its called though mate. Bout £130 or summin. Will do just what your after!

Whats your new starlet got to run that power just out of curiosity!?

lol, the Ibc i-colour is a bit of overkill for a starlet as you are only running about 1 bar of boost but a very good one none the less. Even at £400 theyre very expensive, when you can have an HKS EVC, Greddy E-01 or Apexi AVCR brand new for that price.

imo, for a starlet a very good option is the AVCR due to its ability to set the boost to any level in any gear. But with all these controllers, you need to be prepared to spend a good amount of time on the intial setup and tune of the boost levels.

If you don't like complicated, the blitz sbc spec r is a good choice, simple to use, reliable, relatively affordable. You're looking at about £130-150 for one.

Yeah HDI have just brought out a new one! Dunno what its called though mate. Bout £130 or summin. Will do just what your after!

Whats your new starlet got to run that power just out of curiosity!?

lol, the Ibc i-colour is a bit of overkill for a starlet as you are only running about 1 bar of boost but a very good one none the less. Even at £400 theyre very expensive, when you can have an HKS EVC, Greddy E-01 or Apexi AVCR brand new for that price.

imo, for a starlet a very good option is the AVCR due to its ability to set the boost to any level in any gear. But with all these controllers, you need to be prepared to spend a good amount of time on the intial setup and tune of the boost levels.

If you don't like complicated, the blitz sbc spec r is a good choice, simple to use, reliable, relatively affordable. You're looking at about £130-150 for one.

That looks ace buddy nice and neat job spot on.

To add the AVCR is a very competent unit, full of features which won't always be used on a Starlet but well priced and they look grand. If your after something on a budget then consider they above or a used Greddy Profec B (the original one without a screen), these are basic, easy to use, can be installed in literally 10 mins and can be set up in 10 mins by yourself where as something like the AVCR needs to be done by a professional as they can be a little complicated.

One thing I would advise is also purchasing an uprated actuator like our own ones or the HKS. The stock actuator can become week over time as the spring looses it's tensile strength, if it is worn then the EBC will never work to it's full potential. Boost which ever way you look at it is a mechanical process, things like EBC's and MBC's just aid the process. If the actuator is worn it won't be able to hold the boost as the wastegate will never be fully closed loosing vital pressure so the EBC won't have a hope in hell.

Hope that helps,

Toby

GReddy Profec B Spec II or HKS Dual SBC Spec R are the 2 I've used. There is zero point in spending 500 quid on a boost controller when you will only use 10% of its functionality!

Did Greddy ever replace the solenoids on the B spec II? The original Profec without a screen had a huge chunky solenoid. They were harder to mount due to the reduced space in the engine bay so Greddy made the spec II which had a tiny solenoid, but, due to it's compactness it wasn't as reliable. We don't sell the Spec II anymore but interested to know if they cured this?

Tobs

That looks ace buddy nice and neat job spot on.

To add the AVCR is a very competent unit, full of features which won't always be used on a Starlet but well priced and they look grand. If your after something on a budget then consider they above or a used Greddy Profec B (the original one without a screen), these are basic, easy to use, can be installed in literally 10 mins and can be set up in 10 mins by yourself where as something like the AVCR needs to be done by a professional as they can be a little complicated.

One thing I would advise is also purchasing an uprated actuator like our own ones or the HKS. The stock actuator can become week over time as the spring looses it's tensile strength, if it is worn then the EBC will never work to it's full potential. Boost which ever way you look at it is a mechanical process, things like EBC's and MBC's just aid the process. If the actuator is worn it won't be able to hold the boost as the wastegate will never be fully closed loosing vital pressure so the EBC won't have a hope in hell.

Hope that helps,

Toby

cheers toby, its got an hks actuator on it :lol: . im thinking of the HDI unit or would i be better with the greddy profec b (does that have a screen)?? id spend bout £200 max on it.

help is much appricated thnx

p15

I've got a Blitz DSBC type R on mine and I love it, Its a Quality piece of kit for the cash!

Looks swish too :lol:

Steve

u got a pic mate? dus it have a screen cuz thats wot i wnt...oh and how much are thy??

cheers -_-

pete

As Ian said if your on a budget the HDi looks like a good bit of kit, you can also fnd the profec B older style on ebay quite often a few on there:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...p;_nkw=profec+b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JDM-Trust-Greddy-Pro...A1%7C240%3A1318

That's the one. If your after a screen for some fancy looks then something like the AVCR is a good buy.

As Ian said if your on a budget the HDi looks like a good bit of kit, you can also fnd the profec B older style on ebay quite often a few on there:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...p;_nkw=profec+b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JDM-Trust-Greddy-Pro...A1%7C240%3A1318

That's the one. If your after a screen for some fancy looks then something like the AVCR is a good buy.

thanx again mate ure a legend! think i like the look of the greddy profec spec 2, and that is simple 2 use aswell you dont need prrofessianl setup?

pete

thanx again mate ure alegend! think i like the look of the greddy profec spec 2, and that is simple 2 use aswell you dont need prrofessianl setup?

pete

Hi Pete, that is the Profec B (older one), the Profec B spec II is the newer smaller unit with a blue screen.

Profec B:

http://www.7msupra.com/pics/profecB02.jpg

Profec B spec II:

http://girlintheblackcar.com/images/300zx/300zxProfecB.jpg

There are many good EBC's out there I just have had good experience with them so can recommend them, as the others have said some really good other units out there. They are very easy to install and setup, just be a little careful. Where are you based? If local I'll do it for you. I also have full English instructions if you need with installation and setup guide.

Cheers

T

Hi Pete, that is the Profec B (older one), the Profec B spec II is the newer smaller unit with a blue screen.

Profec B:

http://www.7msupra.com/pics/profecB02.jpg

Profec B spec II:

http://girlintheblackcar.com/images/300zx/300zxProfecB.jpg

There are many good EBC's out there I just have had good experience with them so can recommend them, as the others have said some really good other units out there. They are very easy to install and setup, just be a little careful. Where are you based? If local I'll do it for you. I also have full English instructions if you need with installation and setup guide.

Cheers

T

does the old profec have a digital reading that comes up to show you what boost you are running? if not i think the spec 2 is for me and it looks lush!! :lol: yeah i aint 10 mins away haha im sure id b ok ive got couple m8s good with cars.

cheers toby uve been top notch man thanx

pete.

Ive got a Manual Turbosmart one for sale brand new unused £30 delivered

thanx for the offer man but ive made my mind up now..greddy profec spec 2 :p

by the way super nice V mate! :p like it alot

pete