A follow up of my lumpy acceleration thread..

still accelerating lumpy but its burning oil... bigtime!

basicly, when i open the throttle up the whole way the car shoots off like a rocket (somtimes after a splutter/pause) but if i slowly accelerate and slowly bring the revs round the car stutters and hesitates the whole rev range... and unless i open the throttle the whole way...

and the cars performance doesnt change whether its warm or cold (obvz i dont rag it when its cold).

I hope to do a compression test soon (to see if the rings are ok?)

The only other thing i can think of is the valve stem seals.

I need help guys and girls!

this is my every day car and do around 50+ miles a day..

Thanks Mitch

cant imagine valve stem seals would make the car stutter but it would cause it to burn oil, but you would notice them going i would have thought as over time it would get smokier and smokier on idle and acceleration.

Only other thing i can think of off the top of my head causing it to burn oil would be the head gasket, but again i wouldn't have thought that would cause lumpy idle/acceleration problems?

Naffed up timing+ perhaps head gasket?

i think the acceleration is due to ignition problems (thanks to the other guys on here), my dizzy cap is a bit knackered and the rotor arm.

Ive only had the car on the road for a few weeks so i hadnt really noticed it untill i checked my oil....

and now its obvious.

So long as it isnt the piston rings (which i need help trying to find out) il be happy

do a compression test, then just keep an eye on the oil, also check the coolent levels as i think that is a sign along with the oil that the headgasket is going, if it's stem seals- leave the car to idle for like 3-5minutes then give it a good rev see if there is blue smoke from the exhaust if there is it might well be stem seals

Sounds like the piston rings are gone mate, by doing a compression check it wont tell you if the oil rings are fucked as you have rings for the combustion and rings to keep the oil out of the bore. Cant think of any other way it could be burning oil at that rate! Looks like you need to find a complete engine or maybe find a new bottom end. Good luck. Also just thought if its pushing loads of oil into the cylinders it may be stopping the fuel mixture combusting properly giving the shuddering and then when you floor it it ads just enough air and fuel to run okish. Just a thought, made sense in my head lol

Thanks for the replys.

Doesnt sound good then, like you said, the only way to find out is to open it up, i think thats what im going to be doing this w/e.

this is a pain in the arse really, becuase if it is the rings, i was planning on doing the 4efte swap in 5 months when my current insurance policy ends.

I dont want to put the money in to swapping it for a 4efe or spending money rebuilding now.

Im not keen on the idea of doing the swap for a 4efte now and hope i dont get caught.... not wise i know.

or hope for the best and it is the valve stem seals or somthing else.

cheers lads, il try post up some more info tomorrow.

mitch

thats a good point!

can you run off the same loom and ECU?

Its smoking bad now, flushed and replaced the oil today.

As far as I know it's a direct plug and play. Again - it's unwise but theoretically you *could* swap the 5E in there and nobody would know unless they actually took the engine out. 4EFE cambelt cover. :surrender:

But obviously there's a risk... :surrender:

indeed, i have a few options....

a)try and make the engine survive and make do with crap performance for 5 months...(till i can get insured with a 4efte in it)

b)find a 4efe and swap it

c)find a 5efe and swap it

d)drop a 4efte in it now

I really dont know what to do

Have you found the FTE you want? can you survive without the car?

I`d rip the FE out, clean the engine bay/paint it etc, find the FTE, forge it?, do some headwork on it?, get some mods on the go, keep the old FE head and do some porting + polishing?....then when the time comes put it in n insure it.

a ) You will just waste oil, time etc....

b ) Depends on how cheap you can get it (what if thats in the same condition?)

c ) Illegal

d ) Illegal

this is the exact same reason i did the swap my piston rings went and at 1 point i was going though nearly a gallon of oil a week of 10w 40. if you can i would try and hang time out abit, the best thing to do is use a thicker oil i got sick of buying oil so i changed to either 10w50 or 15w50 i think it was the first 1 but then the oil lasted over a month and i managed to get it real cheap i think it was morisons own oil and me used to pay £4.10 for 4.5L

i did this for months and months was great :lol:

cheers mate, i think it must be the rings then, as it is drinking it...

the maximum the car can be off the road is a weekend and i NEED transport.

The FTE would take longer than tht i think and i plan on buying a FTE and rebuilding with forged internals myself then taking a week or so off work to fit it but i was planning to do that in around 5 months...

im either going to;

a) try keep it running till i FTE it.

b)or exchange for another 4efe-then FTE it in 5 months

i found this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-COROLLA-STARL...%3A1|240%3A1318

but it looks like a different gen? the zuast guard looks different..

Thanks lads/gals

oh and these engines are really pokey arnt they! my mate has a 1.5 vvt-i t-sport yaris, and to be honest i was really impressed with the starlet how it kept up with a drag.rolling start in 3rd. On private roads of course.

Yes that's the older generation, which I think is identical to the 4EFTE, it just has higher compression and no turbo obviously.

I'm not sure if it's entirely straightforward but you might be able to hit two birds with one stone - if you can plug that loom straight into a 4EFTE ECU and then change the headgasket to lower the compression and add the turbo bits and injectors then it might be possible to do a fairly simple turbo job.

But like I said I'm not sure, it might be more hassle than it's worth.

So, i put in some morrisons value 15-50 oil.... and it runs aot better.

I think its cause of the oils viscocity was just thin enough that the oil passing the rings was screweing up the air/fuel mix, but now its thicker its running smoother... hasnt solved the problem but has made it easier to live with.

Oh and Dean-jdm-ep, i spotted your car today! i walked through a car park and was like... WTF!

i was with my dad at the time, he liked where you put your sub... i was busy mooching around the fmic like ..mmmmmm

whats with the steelie!

haha