Someone has agreed to make me an ait intake tube for my Starlet but now I've ordered it I'm having concerns! :p

I'm planning on re-locating the filter towards the front of the engine, along side the battery. behind the radiator. I've designed my heat sheild and ram air intake to the filter but I have 2 worries!

Is the filter too far away? Would it need to be closer to the throttle body to be beneficial?

and

The tube will have a 90 degree bend in it, it'll run from the throttle body across and then bend 90 degrees towards the front of the engine, the worry I have is 90 degrees too sharp? Or will the air find it's way ok despite this?

Good thing it's not costing me too much! :lol:

Thanks

If the bend is mandrel bent then it's fine, and the length shouldn't be a problem at all.

Putting both of those problems together - look at the standard airbox setup. It's full of bends and the piping (if you were to straighten it all out) is actually quite long. So either way you'll have less overall length and less bends.

The biggest problem with open filters like this is heatsoak and getting a decent amount of "cold" air to them, but it looks like you have that sorted. What is the heat shield covering though? Because you will be quite close to 1. the exhaust manifold and 2. the radiator. If the heatshield doesn't completely cover the filter then you might want to get some exhaust wrap on the manifold or something to cut down on heatsoak.

Looks like I might have to re-think this... It's the bend I'm most worried about though. It's not mandrel bent it's rubber hosing from a submarine

Aslong as curved and not a square 90 degree bend then it should be fine.

The other thing though is it should be a smooth surface, no bumps as they cause restrictions to the airflow.

And remember you will need to plug the air temperature sensor in there too (it's easy though, just drill a hole in the pipe, take the rubber bung thing out of the original airbox and cram it in the hole, then stick the sensor in the bung).

Would have thought aslong as its near the front of the car it will be loads more beneficial than the back

you'll be geting more cold air than before

as for the bend.....as stated aslond as its a smooth 90 degree bend the air will find itself easily enough

Little advice i recieved from toy tuning was when relocating the air filter is use Heat Reflective tape for Inlet Track with this and reducing the intake length with the filter sitting near the front bumper the intake will be mint