My car is obviously a uk model but i have done the 4EFTE swap. When i took my car in for it's MOT in December they said i would need to put the cat back on and they would only be doing a basic Idle test due to the engine being an import one.

Bourkey

My car is obviously a uk model but i have done the 4EFTE swap. When i took my car in for it's MOT in December they said i would need to put the cat back on and they would only be doing a basic Idle test due to the engine being an import one.

Bourkey

True with it being a pre 92

dont think the same rules apply for imports

Well if thats the case then your allowed tinted windows,cause its an import car!

Its still going on the queens highway!

My fellas boss only went for a refresher course on monday,oh and if thats the case your allowed decats then,what about the law on sports exhausts? How you get away with that one?!

i think its just a stautory emissions idle test, long as u pass that, ie no set figures like uk models

So why do they bother doing a cat test?

My fellas at work at min so cant see the replys,but when he gets home ill get him to read it and see what else he says!

But what would he know hes only been an mot tester 9yr

Well if thats the case then your allowed tinted windows,cause its an import car!

Its still going on the queens highway!

you are allowed tinted windows as long as it not more then a 70% tint and a certain amount of light passes through then the tints are legal, just as decats are on imports. :lol:

But what would he know hes only been an mot tester 9yr

stand by your man. thats what id say

my mot tester is not dodgy, hes quite a nice guy infact.

not trying to get drawn into a debate on whos right or wrong, im just going on what i was told when i phoned VOSA

Kara, not being funny but youre bf must be one of the idiot mot testers im talking about!

IF he was a proper mot tester who entered grey import on the computer he would realise its a basic idle test

It really pisses me off, you obviously dont have a clue and 'nor does youre boyfreind.

Northern Ireland has a different mot test and they WILL need a cat to pass.

By all accounts, trust youre bf, obviously you cant say he's wrong.. But he is.Sorry about that.

Easy way to solve it, Phone VOSA and ask them.Then come back and say im right.

If its not a grey import, it will need a cat fitted after '92.

numpty mot testers who dont enter correct model and origin = epic fail

I seriously suggest, if you dont know %100 about something, dont make out you do.The poor guy is probably confused now.

But dont let me stop you, if you really do fancy fitting a cat back on every year, then removing it... feel free.Rather you than me though

As quoted on the www.vosa.gov.uk website in there emissions section.

"What if the vehicle is fitted with a different engine?

If the vehicle is fitted with a different engine from the one it was originally fitted with, then for emission purposes you should test to the limits determined by either the vehicle type or engine - which ever is older. For example, if you are presented with a 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine of any make, you should test it according to the age of the engine. In this case, you need to do a non-CAT test, with limits of 3.5%CO and 1,200ppmHC.

Its up to the owner to prove the age of the engine or vehicle, for example with a letter from the manufacturer.

Remember that if the vehicle was imported and has a Single Vehicle Approval inspection, then the emission limits should be on the V5 form."

Thats just a bit covering people with engine conversions and a snippet about grey imports.

Ok sorry i didnt realise everyone on this site where mot testers and knew how to use the computerisation station!

When you put your MOT card into the computer and type in the reg and last 6 digits of chassy number the vehicle is then found my computer through dvla records

Ok sorry i didnt realise everyone on this site where mot testers and knew how to use the computerisation station!

When you put your MOT card into the computer and type in the reg and last 6 digits of chassy number the vehicle is then found my computer through dvla records

Sorry but contact VOSA. :lol:

Sorry but contact VOSA. :lol:

Why do i need to contact VOSA when i have a mot tester sat at the side of me,i couldnt give a f**k about decats i was just giving the lad advice,your obviously just jealous cause a females gave him advice hahahaha!

So go get your mots done with your dodgy mot testers lol i get my mot's FREE anyway so i couldnt care if mine passed or not!

im in the exhaust buisness n can most deffinatly say, that if your car is a grey import, then you dont need a cat, they can only do a basic idle test, IF however your car is running rich or lean or whatever, then you will fail the basic idle test....

Alot of MOT testers think all cars need a cat, but you dont if its a import.. that rule was created by the one and only VOSA!!!!

i have asked a few garages about de-catting the glanza, they have said it will fail, but at the end of the day there grease monkeys n dont have a clue, they follow an emmisions chart, ie.. they see a starlet, find the emmisions value.. no matter if it is an import or not..

I have been told by VOSA, if a garage fails your starlet import, take the failure sheet to them, and they will inspect the starlet, pass it, then deal with the monkeys who failed it in the first place....

questions answered!!!