filters shit from getting into your turbo creating almost like a filter but i wouldnt recomend it as i did it and the power of the turbo ripped the mesh apart and was tickling the turbine lol not good

doesn't do anything lol,

some people do it because they think it looks good

some do it because there isn't much room in the engine bay for a big filter of the turbo.

can let in small dust particles which over time naff up the comp wheel, also like Markoos said the mesh can snap

and get drawn into the turbo... not good lol

meshing is the best thing in the WORLD!!! seriously i think its one of the best things for a ep IMO

noise wise... response wise... looks wise... and money wise

costs what £5? and its simple to do, spools harder and comes on boost harder, no restriction before the turbo so pulls alot more, my ct9 made a HUGE difference when meshed, and when i didnt have a bov the chatter was awesome, wonder what my td04 will be like heehee

people will say '' youl suck in a badger'' but you wont, the inlet on a ct9 turbo is the size of your thumb, like 38mm and your not going to suck up much because youve got your AC rad in the way and radiator, then the shit shield underneath, plus killing your ct9 gives you excuse for bigger and better things :D

You are such a cock, "you haven't drove a turbo Starlet so you don't know anything"... you talk such shit sometimes.

Fucking lol. It doesn't take much thought to realise that very small dust particles can easily fit through mesh. Aswell as the possibility of the mesh coming loose and being pulled into the compressor blades. Bye bye turbo.

Mesh is not "cool". People who mesh their turbos either:

-do not give a shit about their turbo or engine

-don't have the money for a filter (in which case why are you modding cars if you are too poor to afford the most basic modification?)

-don't have the space for a filter but most probably aren't using the car as a daily driver

cal, yet again, youre wrong mate.

K&N is one of the best filter medias you can get, its pretty much the same as the apexi though, so get that if youre worried about being "JDM". but do not cuss out K&N, they are great.

now, meshing the turbo is shit. it lets crap in, and also reduces the amount of flow.

with filters, its all about surface area, thats why most filters are not flat. they are wavey as it more than doubles the surface area within the given size.

more surface area = more space to filter air.

meshing straight off the turbo effectivly reduced the size of the actual intake, as the mesh itself takes up space on the intake.

this is the reason air filters like apexi/K&N have a large filter size. so that the air filter can flow enough unrestricted air to accomodate the needs of the engine.

by putting mesh over the turbo, you may aswell just completely weld half of the intake up. itll do the same job.

mesh = gay. when was the last time you saw a proper race car with mesh? its either a proper air filter, or nothing at all.

Mate, I've seen what meshed Turbo's blades look like after only 1 year with on the road driving and it's not been good.

Now i'm not saying that it's going to be like this on all applications - So many variables but to be honest i'd just whack a K&N on there.

K&N are one of the best air filter manufacturers in the world. FACT!!!

I've found that the best filter to do say a filter relocation kit would be something like the K&N 'RA-0520' This little beauty is about 16cm long and about 10cm wide and K&N rate it for upto 225 HP so.... Small and compact with enough flow for more power than a CT9 can make plus it's only about £28!!!

Ignore comments about you getting "more chatter" as when you bung up you re-circ or bov where else is the air going to go?!?

Boost coming on stronger??? Ditto to what 'StarletRick' said!!!!!!

best for performance = no filter, . its the absolute for a turbo car.

but we live in the uk where only for a small part of the year thats even viable, autumn leaves and grit in the winter knocks six months on it head all on its own.

i feel that meshing the turbo does slightly increase spool up time over a air filter, but makes sure the mesh rigid and secured tightly. but it can loose topend slightly :D mid rev and low are almost as good as no filter though.

air filter = the best for your engine, no chance of sucking any crap up and when relocated it gets a decent air flow. but i find it suffers big time up top :D

so if you want to do it onces buy an air filter and get it out at the front grill, if you happy to chop and change during the year then does so, but be warned when you try no filter its hard to come back to one of the "safer" setups! lol

Phil

ner ner ner... because im RAW apparently according to steven on Msn..

ahwell, people have different opinions, and clearly someone out thre must agree with me but im not fussed, new td04s what £60? lol...

plus i can still keep my air con, i might not even mesh it tbh, cant see mesh stopping much and like you said rick it would be like welding up the compressor housing... somehow.. so il see what its like with no filter what so ever

ahwell, people have different opinions, and clearly someone out thre must agree with me but im not fussed, new td04s what £60? lol...

plus i can still keep my air con, i might not even mesh it tbh, cant see mesh stopping much and like you said rick it would be like welding up the compressor housing... somehow.. so il see what its like with no filter what so ever

chip a blade, straight into your engine? not good.

there are dangers there is no doubt. but sometimes some things are worth the risk.

Phil

It's Stephen, and yes, you think you are "hardcore".

meshed TD04 on 1.2 bar enit?

You argue for ages telling me that filters are restrictive and that mesh isn't and then you go and change your mind agreeing with Rick that it is infact restrictive. Make your mind up.

But tbh your engine is going to go bang one way or another so I don't really care. Wether your standard internals can't cope with the TD04 or your engine simply leans out because you've got it on standard management, or you get shrapnel in a cylinder from the turbo... do I need to continue?

This thread was going fine until Cal opened his mouth :)

I knew he would have something to say on the topic of meshing

sorry i got sidetracked into argueing with cal, its used to be a frequent occurance, i'll try and contain myself.

meshing is useful in certain situations. but definitly not the best for performance or filtration.

Phil

my opinion.. up to me, i try things unlike... 85% of people off here .. i dont wrap my car up in cotton wool and treat it like a rs500 with 2k on the clock..which i find pointless

you can run with air filters, im different ... no one else tries it because theyre scared of damaging their ''baby''

i can get a td04 for £60 yes, every word I've just said is true and off my head, if you dont like it dont comment back

im different

every word i speak is true

ROFL...tehehehehe you arent related to mourinho are you? you have a similar superiority complex!

well you far from on your own running mesh its done by many many people.

td04 for 60, is true, but whether its in any state to use is another question. 1 in every 3 60/70quid td04's are worth the money, so on average you are looking at 150quid ish to gaurentee a working turbo :)

Phil

cal, you are wrong mate. i dont have anything against you and i feel bad the way people rip on you at times, but sometimes is deserved.

this time your very wrong. its your opinion yes, but its wrong. and the way you put it across again is wrong. nothing against you lad.

what rick has said is 100% and if you cant see it you need to open your eyes. its not about being different or hardcore. open your eyes and your mind a little. meshing is not best for performance, fact. it pretty much halfs your compressor intake size, fact. its not best for turbo preservation, fact.

but end of the day do what you like. but dont try and slate people for not meshing, or try and say we are pussys or worried about causing damage or being different, as some of us actually know its a shit option, hence why we dont do it.

keiran