yor best bet is to romove the standard dv block the big pipe off at the bottom and the one you have circled! and the pipe coming from your rocker cover at the top is a breather and usually goes into the efi pipe but you could quite easily put a little breather filter on it...

Will taken out the standard dv and blocking off the pipes make the chatter louder i take it ?

i used a coke zero bottle top.. cut off the sides so your left with the flat top.. then it fits perfectly over the hole and u can run a nice bead of glue around the edge :) .

I got a lil breather filter from my local halfords too :)

Some say yes, others no.. Does anyone really know for sure.. I dont.. But if it does then it will only damage the turbo :p haha

Yeah heard that from alot of folk too.Just an excuse for a bigger turbo :p

it does not directly DAMAGE the turbo, but using some common sense you could understand the following>

the blades of the turbo spool up to a high speed, this causes friction that is cooled and lubed by the oil.

when a turbo has no bov the air compressed air can not escape and will push back against the blades slowing it down very fast and thus putting pressure on the blades, making the chatter noise. This puts extra, unneeded in my opinion, stress on the turbo causing it to wear faster.

just my 2 p everybody has the right to run with or without bov.

Agree with KevinK. The point is, your putting pressure on the wrong side of the turbo. Those blades are designed so that they spin faster when exhaust fumes go thru(e?) it from one specific direction!

By not having a BOV you're creating a pressure that pushes the blades to decrease in speed.

Two things might happen (imo) if you get unlucky.

1. The shaft breaks due to the fact that the inlet side wants to go faster, where the exhaust side rapidly decreases in speed. That causes stress on the sheft.

For example: Try it with a cardboard piece. One side you rotate clockwise, the other side you rotate counter-clockwise. Result: it bends. That same force applies with the shaft, only that is much stronger.

2. The blades can become damaged or break when the metal can't take it anymore. Metal becomes weaker after long and strong amounts of stress on it.

Bottom line: Driving without any form of dumpvalve/BOV recudes the durability of your turbo.

Just my humble opinion of what I've read. Also not to happy with driving with no airfilter on the turbo.

• 3 weeks later...

i read like a 14 page artical on this subject and a good point that came up is there isnt enough pressure from the air to damage a throttle plate let alone a turbo shaft if that makes sense theres people running TD04 glanzas and starlets with no BOV and there fine come to think of it i dont see many high powered ones running BOVs.

Me personally change mine all the time sometimes use my HKS SQSS and some times just chatter away