right after fitting my new turbo took it for a drive and everything was fine, got on the motor way and decided to put it on high boost and it went to 3000 revs and then juddered didint want to go any futher what the hell could be the problem now?

still learning about turbos :D

Are you able to go past 3000RPM when gently accelerating, i.e minimal boost?

T

i have the same problem on mine at the moment, but then sometimes its ok...sorry to jump on band wagon but figuried i would seen as what toby has said is happening to mine?

Fuel cut is just below 13psi, how much boost are you running and what mods? List everything you can sounds like a little bit of boost creep.

Are you getting engine light? You said you went into high mode on the motorway, what boost are you running on low and is it consistant?

T

its completly standard apart from ngk spark plugs and magnecore HT leads

the engine light come on as well for couple of seconds, i dont have a clue how much boost i am runing

i dont kno what to do :D

its completly standard apart from ngk spark plugs and magnecore HT leads

the engine light come on as well for couple of seconds, i dont have a clue how much boost i am runing

i dont kno what to do :D

Your fitting fuel cut. You need to get a boost gauge as well so you can see what actual boost pressures you are running.

At the moment when you run low boost, you are running under fuel cut. When you go into high mode you are too close to fuel cut which will be more apparent on motorways where there is ample air supply.

First step is buy a boost gauge, second step get an adjustable actuator so you can reduce boost pressure in hi below fuel cut. What you could do is bypass the hi/lo solenoid so that you are running in hi constantly as their isn't really a need for low boost (was designed to promote traction in snow).

Once bypassed fit the actuator, reduce boost so that you don't fit fuel cut and off you go.

T

Your fitting fuel cut. You need to get a boost gauge as well so you can see what actual boost pressures you are running.

At the moment when you run low boost, you are running under fuel cut. When you go into high mode you are too close to fuel cut which will be more apparent on motorways where there is ample air supply.

First step is buy a boost gauge, second step get an adjustable actuator so you can reduce boost pressure in hi below fuel cut. What you could do is bypass the hi/lo solenoid so that you are running in hi constantly as their isn't really a need for low boost (was designed to promote traction in snow).

Once bypassed fit the actuator, reduce boost so that you don't fit fuel cut and off you go.

T

thanks i really hope that works

i have a boost gauge what it is reading is when i am on highboost it reaches to 1bar then wont go any futher and judders. i am confused with my boost gauge as wen i start the car it goes up to 500! is that normal ?? or will the gauge need adujusting?

please dont tell me i have to take the turbo off to fit the acuator do i??

edit: so fitting this acuator should solve my problem ?? sorry to keep asking just need to know

Hi, I'm 'iamlegend's mate just wanted to add a couple of questions....

Why would the boost be above the fuel cut level when all standard parts have been used? Could this just be due to a blockage in the wastegate not letting enough exhaust bypass? Or actuator on the new turbo being buggered?

Could it be due to the fact we used a glanza turbo with the extra exhaust blade? would this perhaps push the boost over the Gt's preset limit?

Can you not get a fuel cut defender for the Starlet instead? or would it be better to heed the fuel cuts warning and just turn it down a bit with a new actuator?

Cheers

Dan

The actuator will solve the problem as it can be adjusted to just below fuelcut, when the car is turned on the gauge should show vaccuum then as the revs increase it will show boost.

Is the standard actuators Hi/Low function controlled by the too air pipes leading too it? Could a problem with how those pipes are plumbed in cause this problem?

Just an idea incase we put them the wrong way round in the dark

Pretty sure we didn't like

so you fitted a new turbo with an acuator still on it? and all other parts are standard? and its boosing to around a bar?

could it be possible that the new turbo you put on could have been running a JAM actuator? looks same as stock so you wouldnt have really noticed the difference

just a thought.

Yeah the actuator came with it, and everything else turbowise is standard. one of the nozzles on the new actuator that a pipe usually goes to had been blocked off, does that give any clues?

When we installed it we unplugged it and put the normal pipe that had been in the same position on the old actuator on.

Does that shed any light at all?

I was thinking maybe something in this area might be affecting the actuators function??