Hi, Help Me Decide!

Hi,

I currently have a Ford focus 1.8 zetec and a peugeot 205 gti track car however I am going to have to sell the 205 so I am planning on selling the focus aswell and replacing it with a quicker small car. I am currently split between a 106 gti or a starlet glanza v. So what are the good points of a glanza over a 106?

Thanks

Tom

its not french:P but apart from that there more easily tunable engine wise but with the right set up and money you can get the handling ace too which is the probably the only advantage a stock gti would have over the glanza. But im only an n/a man so il let the turbo heads convince you more

your going to get a biased opinion asking on this owners forum id imagine from most

glanza's are just way better than 106 gti's and also less common!

thats a flawed statement there. sort of.

the 106 gti is an acomplished handler. one of the best infact. and if you had set a goal of 160bhp. the 106 would deliver the goods in a pleasing way. they are mighty quick cars chiped and camed. im not sure on reliability but ive had two saxos and and i dont know if the comparision would reflect across but the starlets seam built to last. and are easier to work on also.

its just the fact that the turbo and turbo options in a starlet can deliver so much more power to take out cars alot bigger!

and you can also sort out the il handling issues iwith cash spent in the right places.

if you were to buy both stock and keep them stock then the 106 would probably be a better properstition but i gather by what y0u have already wrote standard is not on the cards for you.

there are some decent guides in a our wiki tutorial section that might prove a good read

welcome to uksc

i currently have a 106 gti and although the handling is great and i have 160bhp its a very quick car and very easy to drive progressively but reliability is a problem in the last twelve months ive been through two gearboxes a radiator numerous discs and pads aswell as other little problems that you wouldnt expect in daily driving.

and before anyone suggests i was racing everywhere lol i actually dont i really take good care of my cars and dont really drive fast anywhere except on track im now looking to get a glanza aswell just fancy better build quality (although the half leathers in the gti are really nice and supportive) and reliability with the option for good tuneability

Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions! Another thing I will have to consider is I ride mountain bikes alot and need a way to transport them so would need a bike rack. I was just wondering if you know if i could fit a removeable tow bar to a glanza to put a bike rack on. I know its a shame to have a tow bar but i'm not selling my bikes ;) I wasnt planning on it being standard either :D

Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions! Another thing I will have to consider is I ride mountain bikes alot and need a way to transport them so would need a bike rack. I was just wondering if you know if i could fit a removeable tow bar to a glanza to put a bike rack on. I know its a shame to have a tow bar but i'm not selling my bikes ;) I wasnt planning on it being standard either :D

Tom your just delaying the inevitable a glanza is where your heart lies :D

I know it's mostly irrelevant but one thing that might be interesting to look at is the engines of Toyotas/Peugeots.

The Frenchies might have sorted the handling side of things but just look at their engines.

The 106 Rallye has a 1.6 producing 90bhp. NINETY? Ninety from a 1.6, are you fucking kidding me?

And now onto the GTi - that has a bit more power - 120bhp and is also a 1.6. Not as bad as the embaressing 90bhp but still 120 is nothing special when you look at what Toyota has from a 1.6 from the factory.

Now the Starlet doesn't come with a 1.6 but just for comparison look at the 1.6 liter 4AGE 20v. (Which can be made to fit in a Starlet with some modifications). It has 162bhp as standard. That's 100bhp per liter and is naturally aspirated.

The Starlet turbo engine has just over 100bhp per liter WITH a turbo, but keep in mind it is based on an economy engine, not to mention the tuning potential with the turbo.

As I said it's mostly irrelevant but I thought it was interesting. Clearly Peugeot concentrated so much on the handling that they couldn't be bothered with the engine.

I know it's mostly irrelevant but one thing that might be interesting to look at is the engines of Toyotas/Peugeots.

The Frenchies might have sorted the handling side of things but just look at their engines.

The 106 Rallye has a 1.6 producing 90bhp. NINETY? Ninety from a 1.6, are you fucking kidding me?

And now onto the GTi - that has a bit more power - 120bhp and is also a 1.6. Not as bad as the embaressing 90bhp but still 120 is nothing special when you look at what Toyota has from a 1.6 from the factory.

Now the Starlet doesn't come with a 1.6 but just for comparison look at the 1.6 liter 4AGE 20v. (Which can be made to fit in a Starlet with some modifications). It has 162bhp as standard. That's 100bhp per liter and is naturally aspirated.

The Starlet turbo engine has just over 100bhp per liter WITH a turbo, but keep in mind it is based on an economy engine, not to mention the tuning potential with the turbo.

As I said it's mostly irrelevant but I thought it was interesting. Clearly Peugeot concentrated so much on the handling that they couldn't be bothered with the engine.

actually the s1 1.3 rallye had 100bhp and the later s2 rallye produced slightly more and although its not alot from a 1.6 its still only an 8v like a vtr but with a better diff and gear ratios also the handling is alot better