Newbie Ere, Hints On Basic Tuning

Hello to all,

I brought my 1998 ep91 a few weeks back and is great fun 2 drive but i want to do some basic modification to it. . . ive read through the technical section and want suggestions to wot 2 do. . . . .

*lowering,

*handling,

*and just squeezin the most horses out the lil engine.

any help would be great.

thanks

I'm guessing this is for a non turbo?

If it is, then start with getting a Corolla inlet manifold, it really livens up the 4EFE and gives much better mid-top range power.

The second thing you should do is replace the crappy filter with either a free flowing panel filter or get rid of the airbox altogether and use a cone style filter. There is alot more you can do but these relatively cheap and easy mods give a good increase for a low price.

As for handling a rear anti roll bar is what most people recommend. Some good tyres help alot aswell, and obviously some nice wheels will make the car look better but don't go for cheap tyres. I recommend 195/45/15 for the wheel/tyre size.

If you want to lower the car aswell as improving the handling you have a few options - you can go for lowering springs combined with uprated shock absorbers or you can go for coilovers. Coilovers are generally more expensive and from what I've heard give a harsh ride compared to shocks/springs.

Alternatively if you just want to lower the car and don't care too much for handling then lowering springs alone will be ok but be wary of the standard shocks not lasting long with them.

thats good. . . tryed finding a new inlet manifold on the net but no luck, to change the inlet manifold is

it a case of undoing a few bolts or do u have 2 do any thin else. . . as you can tell im not mechanicaly

tuned in that much.. . . and any sugetions were to get 1 from?

as for wheels i had a lil set of 195/45/15's but wasnt 2 sure so got a set of 205/40/17's off a freind nd

the ride is a dam lot more stable and smooth at high speeds but on your every day bumpy road i sumtimes

fight the steering wheen 2 keep the car going all over the road as the follow all ruts and grooves in the

road and the car looks like its on stealts so mite get anuva set of 15's or compramise nd go 16"

any one frm kent. . . .

thanks all

• 3 weeks later...

Another lad from kent ^_^

Heres a link to the next Medstone Meet

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....showtopic=19436

(Medstone because it started out as lads from Maidstone meeting in Meday :p)

We've had quite a few good turn outs over the last year, should come down to the next one mate :D

Just stuck this up the other day dont think anyone really knows about it yet :D

Get your name down mate :D