hey everyone, this is my first post on here, just signed up.

im going to look at a starlet on saturday and my problem is i dont know the first thing about them! im going to look at it on their reputation alone.

so what im looking for is what common problems they get that i should look out for like ball joints, water leaks, where do they rust etc...you get the idea! lol

can anybody offer any information on this?

thanks in advance,

Neil.

Hi NeilH!

Welcome to the UKSC!

What type of starlet will you be looking at and what year?

Awkward question as you are so new to the starlets.

Please check out some the links I just made

If its non turbo (also known as n/a or normal aspirated) it should be a uk spec EP91 1996-1999 which are the most common starlet available for sale in the uk and all are a standard 1.3cc 16V Twin Cam engine. Jap version of this car is called Toyota Starlet Reflet.

Older versions are known as EP82 and start from pre1990-1995.

Both come with 4efe engine.

There are other engines that come with these cars but the overall majority is the 4efe engine.

Both EP91 & EP82 also come in turbo version.

Both use the 4efte ct9 turbo engine.

EP82 turbo is known as a GT Turbo

History of Starlets

Starlet GT Turbo Quadlight Facelift Version

EP91 turbo is known as a Glanza V with a non turbo glanza version called Glanza S

Page with a variety of Starlets!

Glanza S

Both turbo versions have a facelift(updated) version as well.

This is the most basic info on the Starlets themselves. There are a few older versions of the starlets as well but to keep to the topic I am sure the most likely starlet you will be viewing is an EP91 N/A.

I am sure someone will be able to give you a much more detailed outlook on these wonderful cars. But hopefully this info gives you a better idea. They are a nice alternative to all the other cars on the market, plus toyota reliabilty and fun driving.

And of course a beauty to modify turbo or non turbo!

Also it would be helpful if you could give a more detailed description of the starlet you will be looking at, picture or spec. Have you seen the car itself or a picture of it yet?

There are loads of things to look for but things to look out for are touch ups, dents, mileage, opening of doors, test drive, reason for sale, all things should be taken into consideration. Any cosmetic things are easily visible, but unfortunately engine bits aren't unless your a starlet master. Good thing about these cars is that they are very reliable, and don't forget the car you will be looking at will be between 8-16 years old.

I have been a starlet owner for 8 months now and still learning.

Hope this info has helped u out mate!

And don't rush into buying anything until you have had a good look and test drive see if u like it. Its a light car so has light handling. Of course all aspects of the car can be upgraded so no worries!

Anything else u need to know give us a shout, some people with more info will be along soon but this is the best I can do ;b

By the way I drive a UK 1998 red non-turbo and I think its great!

My Extreem EP Ride with pics!

There is so much more to know, explain and learn but to give it all away here would spoil it for you ;b

Hope to hear from u soon!

This is THE Starlet community to be!

Peace Out

Joz

cheers for the info matey. much appreciated.

the car im lookin at is being imported by a trader.

its a 1995 M reg starlet GT (turbo) in black. it has quad headlights, air con, abs p/s etc..

its on coilovers and has a stainless steel exhaust, and done 65,000 miles. i have seen pics of it and it looks a nice example, hence me going to see it lol.

Neil.

Hi Neil mate!

Sounds like a very tempting deal and of course ideal if you want the newest version available of the GT Turbo with a lot of desireable extras. With it being imported from Japan it should hopefully have been very well looked after, and with coilovers etc that is an added bonus.

Sounds like a nice package.

Glad to be of help!

Good luck mate!

And keep us updated!

Peace Out

Joz

to get it registered though your importer will have to put it back to standard to get it thru the SVA exam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That aspect I'm not too sure about so I will leave it to the experts who know!

you will need to find out about that Neil mate!

Peace Out

Joz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm i didnt know about that either! but he has said it comes with all these mods so even if he does put it back to standard to pass it then he will be re-fitting it im sure. a quick look will tell me for sure anyway. and if its missin, the price comes down :D

one question...are these cars as quick as what people say? as i have such high hopes i dont want to be dissappointed!

Neil.

its a GT, it doesn't require an SVA, only an MOT, so no parts will need to be removed unless they cause it to fail the MOT.

out of interest, who's importing it? i know the majority of importers in the country so should be able to tell you whether they're dodgy or not.

ahh quite fast then!

im actually down sizeing by buying this car as i currently drive a golf GTi, but it aint fast enough for me anymore. plus the tax and fuel consumption is killing me. i just cant justify spending that sort of money on a car i aint happy with.

with regards to whos importing it, i dont really want to name names. its unfair for it to be posted on a public forum.

hey guys, thanks for the nice welcome. i would have introduced myself properly but i couldnt find a newbie thread.

if i get my starlet this weekend, i promise ill come to the next meet, no matter where it is lol.

anybody got any pics of a black starlet on white rims??

Neil.

UPDATE:-

ive just bought my starlet. :D:DB)

im pickin it up on wednesday. few little bits im not happy with. but you cant win them all.....

its on shít rims so they will be my first mod i reckon. and i got a nice pair of Corbeau Carrerra recliners sittin in my garage waiting to go in!

regards,

Neil.