Radio/cig Fuse/wire

Right, got quite a predicament at the moment, took a look other day at the wire for the rad/cig fuse it doesnt look too healthy i put a fuse and it they keep blowing i'm thinking maybe theres too much current through it (duh) but i don't know where its coming from? im thinking of taking it to a garage to get checked out, but last time i got my heater checked out they wanted £450 to fix it :@

would this be a big job? or is there another way to get a 12v wire to the radio some other way?

thanks for the help guys.

Not nice. Sounds like somethin on that fuse/line has become short circuit. Its worth getting it checked out even if you dont have the work done. But regards to power to the radio just run a cable straight from the battery to the radio.

Guest dominodon

dont take it to the garage, Had the same problem one off the wires was touchin touching another wire keep putting a fuse and keeped blowing. Its going to be somethink simple,

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply guys, i can get at the wires up to a point then i lose the expertise to continue lol. i can dismantle the dash and so on but i dont feel too confident with the wiring.

If i run power straight from the battery is there anyway to fuse it ? and to be able to switch it on and off?

thanks again guys

Thanks for the reply guys, i can get at the wires up to a point then i lose the expertise to continue lol. i can dismantle the dash and so on but i dont feel too confident with the wiring.

If i run power straight from the battery is there anyway to fuse it ? and to be able to switch it on and off?

thanks again guys

Yer you can buy inline fuse holders from Maplins. Regards to turning it off, there should be a switched ignition supply for the radio anyway which will turn off with the ignition. so running a new cable from the battery will be exactly the same as running it from the fuse box.

I've sorted it out now!! :p i checked the wiring for short circuits and i found one! there are 3 wires to the cigarette lighter part and two of them had burnt the casing and were touching, this also turned on the blower on low when i turned the ignition on, i separated these wires and taped em in electrical tape and stuck them to the side so they shouldn't touch again!

almost lost the will of fixing it and went to a garage, glad i didn't now!

thanks for the help guys!

always know there's good help on here when i've got problems