It seems to me, that sometimes it's easier to break your car than sell it in the Starlet world. And sometimes you can make just as much money as you would selling it.

I was wondering to the people who have done this, did you find it worked in your favour? Did you make quite alot of money back from braking the car? And if you are willing to share, how much roughly did you make back from doing it?

I know that alot can depend on what mod's you have done to engine sometimes, but I was just curious really.

Thanks! :D

Im sure you can make the same money you would by selling it. However it all come down to do you have the time to take things apart, post everything. Send Pm's, chase people up etc.

I know its not the same but i was looking for a GT engine, gearbox, loom and driveshafts for my build a little while ago. I was told to expect to pay £500 for a front cut starlet. In the end i bought a crash damaged GT on ebay for £600. Pretty much standard apart from a few things. People are always after bits and after selling the trust backbox, carpet, spoiler, wind deflectors and other bits i was left with Engine (all working), gearbox, dump valve, V5C in my name, driveshafts, loom, chassis plate, mounts all for less than £150. Bargain if you ask me.

Was a little more work than just buying an engine but i now have the V5C which is priceless when building a kit car.

Jason :D

I recently broke my civic and made quite good money on it considerin the engine wor knackered.. more than i'd get sellin it as it was.. only porblem is, it takes longer to sell the individual bits and then people want em posted etc.. If you've got time and space it's a good way to make the money. Especially when cars aren't sellin to well at the moment.

I doubt it's something I will do, but I was just curious really. Obviously I have been trying to sell my car for a while, but I have decided to fix anything that needs doing before putting it up again. Because people always knock you down on price. Although really there's nothing major that needs doing to it.

I bought my Paseo for £100 and stripped it after a year. Right down to the bare shell I made about £500 back on the car and kept the items that I bought for it (as I know I will buy another Paseo soon).

I did sell everything at next to nothing really, theres a different market for the Paseo than there is for the Starlet though.

In the long run and depending on if you can sell every part its well worth it. i sold everything on my saxo which was worth a few hunred quid. selling it bit by bit on sax-P i made well over a grand. it took a couple of months but i did it and made so much more from it

but as stated what a headache lol

also modifying a car rarely adds a lot of value whereas selling them induvidually you can make some money. so id say putting a car back to standard and selling it as a whole then flogging the mod bits you can make more money doing it that way

Speedfreak, reduce the car to practically standard, people prefer a clean slate to start with. You could charge for the bodykit AND standard bumpers and sideskirts in return.

I made over £3k and managed to fund the GT and mod it to more or less where it is now so its worth doing as I wouldnt have got £500 for it as a car I doubt!!

Much better financial solution but breaking a car breaks your heart especially when its your pride and joy!!