I've been looking into clutches lately just out interest but got a few questions that I can't find the answers to.

I'd say I'm quite clued up on engines and have a bit of knowledge on suspension but one thing I've never really looked into is clutches. I already had a general idea of how they work and I've found plenty of info on that, but not really anything on the clutches themselves or the different types, so I've got a few questions regarding different types of clutch and things like that so hopefully someone can answer them. :p

- What are the springs for in clutches and why do some clutches have them while others don't?

- What's the whole idea behind paddle clutches, why do they have "pucks" rather than a full disc, which looks like less space for friction but is actually rated to higher power? It would make sense to have more material = more friction, but obviously not? I'm assuming the material has a much higher friction rating than a normal clutch.

- What's the thing with having more/less pucks? As far as I can see the more pucks you have the easier it is to use, and the ones with less pucks are more race orientated?

- I'm always reading that paddle clutches aren't much good for town driving and will wear out quickly if you try to use them the same way as a normal clutch, why is that? There are still a few people using paddle clutches on their daily drivers so surely they can't be that bad?

I'll probably add more later if I can think of anything.