Help! Sr Steering Issues!

Got a little issue thats arisen on my 1998 SR, bit worried about how serious it may be :)

Basically when at low speeds (upto around 20-30mph) when turning tight theres a slight clicking noise coming from what sounds like just behind the dash, and also you can just feel a slight bit of friction at the same time when turning? Its only on real tight turns like small roundabouts, you hear it click it will usually click like 3 or 4 times progressively through the turn and then clicks the same amount of times as you straighten up again.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Steering box or track rods or something maybe?? Is this a common fault on SRs?

Any help will be much appreciated :)

hav you got any sounds fitted in your sr mate?i do n i had the same problem as it seems uv got,i made the mistake of cable tieing the leads to the steering rack/column(woteva its called) and it stopped the 2nd i cut it bak off!lol hope this is helpful mate!

Hmm... it got worse and worse, to the point where I was like SHIT this is gonna go, driving at like 20mph was about to turn round to head home, turned into quite a tight roundabout and the steering fully locked round to the right!!

I wrenched it back straight with a lot of force and suddenly snapped back into place and i drove up the road really really cautiously. It seemed as if the clicking and grinding had gone, so I parked the car up, went into the bar I was meeting some mates at, came back out to it and drove it round for a bit absolutely problem free?!

Since it did this last night its been absolutely fine, took it easy all night last night, gave it a bit of stick on the way to work this morning and it all seems back to normal again?!

weird.com!