Regulations On Exhausts And Plates?

Got pulled over the other day, the car was given a once over, as you'd expect, immediate response is that front plate's characters are too small, however have been pulled many times before, never been an issue

second fault is apparently exhaust looks like it is blowing?

passed its MOT in july, still has standard mani, cat and silencer, have a new mani/decat sitting in my house, thankfully not fitted yet

i have been told that it is legal to have smaller plates on the front of import cars, is there legislation to back this up? and if so where?

also have been told that imports can't be emmissions tested as there is no set data value?

is this balls?

before replying, note, i wasnt speeding or doing anything ridiculous, just a spot check

any reply's welcome, really can't be assed going through the bother of getting it all check out, don't have a lot of spare time at the moment

youre allowed bike sized lettering on the front of an import IF there isnt enough space in the OEM design to cater for a full uk sized plate. you can get away with it on starlets. im fairly up on this, i had some issues with the same thing on my S15, i have the leg somewhere. ill find the ref number on it if you like so you can request a copy to keep in the glovebox.

as for the emissions, the car has to pass a fast idle test. if you cant pass one of them, then you have other things to worry about. even my old glanza passed those, and that used to kill trees just by driving past them.

if youre failing on emissions, they must be trying to log it as a uk spec starlet.

easy way round that... book it in as a Toyota Glanza, they wont be able to find it in the system, and will run it as an import. job done.

Guest cheshireglanza

^^ as for emissions book your car in as toyota glanza import when it come to my mot 2 weeks ago mot center phoned me to say they cant test emissions cause they dont have that car on the system so it passed and not really sure bout the number plate one

thanks, yeah, the police have asked me to have the car emissions tested and stamped, as they suspect it will fail? it does pass, just need to book it in again :p just curious as to if i get any more bother, can't really be bothered to get it emissions tested AGAIN as it was done for MOT in july,will try find leg and just go past the police station and explain it, see what they say. they pulled me and basically tried to pick apart the car, brand new tyres shocked them, just one of those things

cheers for that!

this is the law...

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles

(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

and

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height 64mm

Character Width 44mm

Character Stroke 10mm

Space between characters 10mm

you can request a cover note from the DVLA to keep in the car with you regarding number plate law, just incase you get tugged for it. you need to get a copy of the "Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001".

ive been pulled before in mine, and told i had illegal plates. i told him he was mistaken and suggested he have another check. he did, appologised and let me on my way.

my plate is this big, and fully legal due to the small recess on the bumper for the plate. i think its 13x3 iirc.

09JAE076.jpg

as for the exhaust thing, unfortunately they can request you have it checked as and when they feel like it. the second you leave the mot station, the car is potentially modified, and if the plod suspects this, he is entitled to ask for it to be checked. best thing to do really, is to be really polite and explain that youve had it checked before and its fine.

Guest ep82_girl

to be honest i wouldnt know but yours seems to be alot smaller than what starletrick said the sizing is.

is yours a motor bike size plate??

i dont think they are legal but im not 100% sure

sure someone on here will help you out hunni

xxx

I got it made by createmyplates.com

I think i might have to get one a bit bigger 13"x3"

Will get them to use the right (legal) size lettering to be on the safe side.

Will leave the one i got on the car for the time being.