What advantage does changing your pistons gain?

Is it as beneficial as changing cams??

Thanks. :thumbsup:

In a naturally aspirated engine you could benefit from higher comp pistons aslong as you don't go too extreme because of things like valve clearance for example.

In a naturally aspirated engine you could benefit from higher comp pistons aslong as you don't go too extreme because of things like valve clearance for example.

so if i got pistons from the 4efte for example and put them into my 4efe i would see an improvement in power?? or response?

whats best place to get them from, is it the glanza? :thumbsup:

so if i got pistons from the 4efte for example and put them into my 4efe i would see an improvement in power?? or response?

whats best place to get them from, is it the glanza? :thumbsup:

You'd lose power, you'd have to buy some higher compression pistons if you wanted to gain power this way, but that would cost more than it's worth. (Might aswell wait and go for a turbo).

In another topic you were asking about cams, well if you're going to do cams and you're serious about getting more power and have money to spend you could mad with the head, get it skimmed, ported and polished, and a 3 angle valve job, uprated valve springs and the cams. Bearing in mind that would cost a fair whack and not really worth it, because again, you might aswell just wait and go for a turbo or bigger engine.

To be honest once you get past doing the inlet manifold/air filter/exhaust system it gets very expensive to squeeze power out of the 4EFE as it's essentially an economy based small displacement engine that wasn't intended for high power, if you wanted an easy way of getting more power but can't afford to go turbo you should consider a 5EFE bottom end.

I'd love to see a well tuned 4EFE as much as anyone else but unless you just want bragging rights or have got alot of money to throw around it just doesn't seem realisticly worth it.

You'd lose power, you'd have to buy some higher compression pistons if you wanted to gain power this way, but that would cost more than it's worth. (Might aswell wait and go for a turbo).

In another topic you were asking about cams, well if you're going to do cams and you're serious about getting more power and have money to spend you could mad with the head, get it skimmed, ported and polished, and a 3 angle valve job, uprated valve springs and the cams. Bearing in mind that would cost a fair whack and not really worth it, because again, you might aswell just wait and go for a turbo or bigger engine.

To be honest once you get past doing the inlet manifold/air filter/exhaust system it gets very expensive to squeeze power out of the 4EFE as it's essentially an economy based small displacement engine that wasn't intended for high power, if you wanted an easy way of getting more power but can't afford to go turbo you should consider a 5EFE bottom end.

Cheers bud. ;)

Sounds like some good advice!!

i was seriously looking into doing cams but if its not worth the money i wouldnt but i didnt think i would be able to afford a turbo till im about 20. :thumbsup:

Does putting a 5EFE bottom end mean getting the lump out of a paseo and putting it into my sr?? this would be a big job would it not.. hmm it is very tempting tho :lol:

changing to a 5e bottom end will put your insurance up too, wat age are u? maybe just keep it as it is and save for a gt or glanza when u have some no claims

im 18 mate.. 19 this year... thats why was thinkin jus camming it or changing pistons or something... mayb wont put insurance up 2 much compared to putting a turbo or 5E isn't it. Would be well worth the money tho... GT insurance isnt to much is it??

im 18 mate.. 19 this year... thats why was thinkin jus camming it or changing pistons or something... mayb wont put insurance up 2 much compared to putting a turbo or 5E isn't it. Would be well worth the money tho... GT insurance isnt to much is it??

u should get a couple of quotes. mate try your luck it isnt all down to age its your postcode as well

I'm 18 aswell, insurance for a GT would have been around £2k for me but I ended up getting a CRX instead which I'm going to have to wait a few months until I'm 19 before I can get it on the road. Glanza insurance is quite a bit more expensive.

How long is it until you are 19 and how much money will you have to spend?

I'm 18 aswell, insurance for a GT would have been around £2k for me but I ended up getting a CRX instead which I'm going to have to wait a few months until I'm 19 before I can get it on the road. Glanza insurance is quite a bit more expensive.

How long is it until you are 19 and how much money will you have to spend?

Whats a CRX mate??

Im 19 in May.. and i spend 1800 a month on insurance on my SR at mo so i wud be lookin to spend bout 2K on insurance at most. Cud prob stretch to a GT if it came under 2K on insurance.

Whats a CRX mate??

Im 19 in May.. and i spend 1800 a month on insurance on my SR at mo so i wud be lookin to spend bout 2K on insurance at most. Cud prob stretch to a GT if it came under 2K on insurance.

a crx is my fave honda of all time :thumbsup:

Honda CRX, the car in my sig.

Do a few quotes on a GT see what it comes back with, May isn't too far away so could get yourself a GT. :lol:

Ah right i see.. whats the insurance on that then??

Yh i will look into it if its to much im jus going to improve my NA for now. All my mates have lyk 1.9 Ibizas and that and would like to not be behind them as much ya no haha :thumbsup:

a 5efe conversion is uber cheap, i picked up mine for £120 and plan on dumping it in myself.

its a straight swap and you can use the 4e ecu....

one of the most value for money mods considered, you get extra torque and displacement for free.

+ the engines look identical.

im stuck weather to put all the parts onto a 4esr or just bypass that and stick all the bits onto a 5e and fot that.

@ Bucketep91 - Would love to leave them standing mate.. would be so worth the money!! haha :thumbsup:

@ Enzo - where did u pick up such a cheap 5E?? hmm at that price it wud be good to do because i could do it right now instead of waiting till im older for a GT. would be alot to pay someone to do it toh wudnt it??

I have heard its a quality mod to do tho!