My ep85 is starting to get on my tits. its one thing after another.

now its on the road i have been driving it around to find any other little problems with it. has a few minor things but the most annoying and possibly most costly is the sound from the gearbox.

seems to be getting worse but could just be me.

1. when you sit still out of gear with the clutch pedal up it make a kinda grindy knocky sound, press the clutch down and it stops instantly.

2. sound goes up and down with the engine revs.

3. while your driving you can hear it (its not mega loud) put the clutch in and it stops again.

4. sometimes when your in gear and your at the point between accelerating and using the engine breaking you can hear the grindy sorta sound but louder. 1st and 2nd gear is probably the worst but can also hear it in 3rd and 4th. this doesnt always seem to make a noise though.

clutch feels fine and gearchanges are perfect. oil has been replaced with 75/90.

any ideas?

Is it a Whining noise, And if your driving along and put your foot on the clutch does the noise completely go ?

Also is it louder in the mornings when the car is cold ? Or is it the same whether its hot or cold

Is it a Whining noise, And if your driving along and put your foot on the clutch does the noise completely go ?

Also is it louder in the mornings when the car is cold ? Or is it the same whether its hot or cold

sound is about the same whatever really, hot or cold. just seems to be getting worse the more ive driven it but could just be me.

its not a whining sound, just a kinda grinding knocking sorta sound.

yeah. putting my foot on the clutch under all circumstances gets rid of the sound

To me the way you've explained it sounds like the Clutch release bearing but could be the main input bearing in the gearbox

I had the same problem on my Swift were i had a slight rumbling noise coming from the gearbox and it went as soon as i pressed the clutch down, Never got round to replacing it but i was almost certain that was the problem

Just found a stupid video on you tube but is this the problem you have got ?

well, its kinda like that but not as noisy or as high pitched. plus it doesnt go as soon as i touch the clutch pedal, the clutch has to be pretty much fully disengaged before the noise will stop.

when i do the turbo conversion the box will come out anyway so will it be ok to drive with the main shaft bearings being noisy? no obvious metal fillings came out when i drained the old oil.

Sounds like a clutch release bearing in its last moments of life. Get it changed soon rather than later. Mine always made noise but it never bothered me until my latest starlet, when that one seased on the sleave where it sits on the gearbox. It then over heated, broke my clutch this then made my gearbox scrap. Early C52 gearbox the realease bearing sleeve runner thing was bolted to the g/box housing but Later bearing sleeves are cast to the gearbox so unless you have a spare 4x4 box lying around I' change yours.

Mine is an extreme case and yours my well last another two years, but if its really noisy I doubt theres much life in it.

Please do a how to sticky and you can hilight the problems I mentioned there.

When are you planning on taking it out ?

It should be ok for a while, but if the noise get's worse then change it sooner rather then later :D

well, im looking to move house in the very near future. will be once ive done that i i need the room for all the bits.

but you know what selling a house is like. could a month, could be a few years before it sells :D

worst comes to the worst ill have to take it out. but would rather do the job once properly than have to piss about twice!