Hi,

I've just got a 95 (quad lamp) GT Turbo running completely standard bar a turbo timer and i was considering adding a BOV.

I was just wondering if there is any technical reason for doing this as the factory fit re-circulator BOV protects the turbo and my last car had a Greddy re-circulator which i was advised to keep for performance reasons.

So what i'm basically trying to ask in a roundabout kinda way is :

Will an atmospheric dump valve / BOV reduce performance?

Will it protect the turbo as well as the factory fitted one?

Does it upset the Mass airflow sensor with the air pressure going up and down so quickly ( i read somewhere it can cause over-fuelling and petrol can be dumped into the exhaust).

thanks!

ok, so in theory an atmospheric BOV (in my technical opinion, have no real evidance) should reduce performance JUST A TINY probably negligable bit.

An atmospheric dump valve will propetct your turbo, and engine.

And for setting the stock BOV to vent to the atmosphere, it sounds quite cool (when you think about it being vost free), I did it, try it out, got nothing to lose.

Hi,

I've just got a 95 (quad lamp) GT Turbo running completely standard bar a turbo timer and i was considering adding a BOV.

I was just wondering if there is any technical reason for doing this as the factory fit re-circulator BOV protects the turbo and my last car had a Greddy re-circulator which i was advised to keep for performance reasons.

So what i'm basically trying to ask in a roundabout kinda way is :

Will an atmospheric dump valve / BOV reduce performance? No, if your air filter is not standard (A open filter).

Will it protect the turbo as well as the factory fitted one? Yes.

Does it upset the Mass airflow sensor with the air pressure going up and down so quickly ( i read somewhere it can cause over-fuelling and petrol can be dumped into the exhaust). If the car where with Mass Airflow sensor, then yes. But the car is with a MAP sensor so, No it does not upset.

thanks!

Hi,

sorry to ask again, but.. whats the best thing to block the recirculator pipe off with?

I've take in into a couple of garages to ask if they have anything and one said "try and get something off ebay" and the other side "you will need to get something machined"...

Is there a cap you can just buy?

thanks again.

If you want a quick fix a 50p is a direct fit as well as a 2p piece if your on a budget. :D

Cheers

T

I did consider this. A 2p with some silicon sealer?

It would ne nice to have something a bit neater though.

well thats a 2p with some rubber solution fitted.

Seems ok. Its quite a soft sound you get off it , especially on normal gear changes.

Maybe consider putting a hose on it so it vents outside the bonnet.. anyone done this?

I've been running around on it for a day now and i've just put it back to recirc.

It definitely is less responsive venting out so the recirc must be doing some good.

Possibly a proper atmospheric BOV with a harder spring would work better......