Anyone Got Tips For Refurbishing A Chrome Rim?

Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to refurbish a Chrome rim? I've been told to use 1200 Wet & Dry/Steel Wool/Autosol but I've got no idea in what order and what exactly to do :D

3 of my wheels have pretty bad lacquer corrosion, but it's not the whole way around the rim, here's a few pics to show you what I mean

05f702ea.jpg

54775a54.jpg

bd181fd5.jpg

The spokes etc are fine as you can see, I just want to restore the rims to their former glory! I'd appreciate any help :o

Thanks

Amjad

if that fails i'd rub the whole of the lip down smooth and buy some alloy wheel spray paint and redo the whole lip on al of them. orrrrrr if you can sand the whole lip to the same colour and finish just re-lacaer them

socks has just refurbed my chrome lip on the rims and it showed up perfectly. he just wire wooled them. then rubbed them down with wet and dry and finished with autosol and elbow grease lol showed up perfectly shines like a bitch too :D

socks has just refurbed my chrome lip on the rims and it showed up perfectly. he just wire wooled them. then rubbed them down with wet and dry and finished with autosol and elbow grease lol showed up perfectly shines like a bitch too :D

I tried some 1200 Wet & Dry on one of the wheels, it's working but I'm gonna get some wire wool too which should make it easier!

I took some of the corroded lacquer off by rubbing it down, but now you can tell where there IS lacquer and where there isn't. If I carry on and just polish up the parts which are corroded, I don't think the rest of the rim will be as shiny, so I'm thinking of stripping the lacquer off the whole rim and polishing it all up?

What could I use to make stripping the lacquer quicker/easier, because it would take hours with Wet & Dry alone :o

Oh and Anup, I'm thinking of doing the spokes in Gunmetal, but not for a while yet..

• 2 months later...

Best thing to do mate is use whatever you can to get it back to bare metal, polish it like mad then relaquer it, i did a set of wheels before, with nitromors! that works great, but obviously you would have to tape the spokes up, dont want it on there!