you undo and re tighten because the head gasket is around 1.5mm thick which is very thick in this day and age, and its like compressing a plugh mans sandwich, wen i first did a head on this engine i re checked all head bolt torque settings and ther was no suprise that the end bolts was at 56NM and the centers went as low as 34NM!!!. this is a problem with the 90degree final setting on the auto data. always make sure thy are all at the same,

also rechecking at every service or after tracking the car is a must. and i have found that som head gaskets do not fit to the deck dowls tight and can allow the gasket to sit over the bore edge slightly (bad). this is wat happend to marcooses head gasket recent. plus the head had been skimed around 4 times i estimated and the dowels had bottomed out in the head (bad). i always tip the dowls with a file to be on the safe side because i do not know how many time the head has been skimmed.

you undo and re tighten because the head gasket is around 1.5mm thick which is very thick in this day and age, and its like compressing a plugh mans sandwich, wen i first did a head on this engine i re checked all head bolt torque settings and ther was no suprise that the end bolts was at 56NM and the centers went as low as 34NM!!!. this is a problem with the 90degree final setting on the auto data. always make sure thy are all at the same,

also rechecking at every service or after tracking the car is a must. and i have found that som head gaskets do not fit to the deck dowls tight and can allow the gasket to sit over the bore edge slightly (bad). this is wat happend to marcooses head gasket recent. plus the head had been skimed around 4 times i estimated and the dowels had bottomed out in the head (bad). i always tip the dowls with a file to be on the safe side because i do not know how many time the head has been skimmed.

some rearly good info here :)

cheers fella every little helps.

thr iz alot of other checks to be done, but i would be here all day. i would recomend leaving this stage of a engine build to the pros boys. as it take many years experience to aquire this and lots of other knowlage about blue printing high power engine design. if any body wants my help or advice on engine builds just ask. :o