think about it dude, you rebuild your engine with brand new bits and leave out the headbolts. you drive the car around and find out that the headbolts are not doing there job due to being weak. another new headgasket, and more hours for you sir lol.

its annoying paying out more then you want to but it will save you money in the long run.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I gota say i was pritty sapprised when gaz told me about the arp head bolt issue, arp studs and bolts in genral especialy the lp19 are imo the best money can buy.

I spoken to many owners of various companys i deal with tim at tb abbey, andy at serious, adrian at fens, no one has ever had one break on them, I've used them on my build with intedid boost pressures of 2.5bar+ and have full faith in them

just thort id add arp's are also fine to re use unless there like the pic above

maybe a silly question gaz as im sure you did, but did you torque the head up then put it through a head cycle then loosen an then re tighten?

just what i have always been told to do buy adrian on arp's, i think it was something along the lines of it helps them to settle/seat properly

ARP say this in there instructions also, "The studs need to be lubed at the block end as well, tightened hand tight. torque them to spec, loosen them by sequence, an re-torque before use"

"Then after 10 heat cycles you retorque them again. This is when the engine comes up to full heat, then cools down again. 10x like that. You dont loosen then tighten as done when first fitted, you just torque them down more. You'll find that they back off around 5-10ft-lbs"

ARP bolts dont have the same torque settings as stock bolts, from memory they are to be tightened in 3 stages equally upto 60ftlbs with ARP lube, I have heard of others having problems with them when fitting, but mine were fine, GTS GAV I no its not what you ment but just to make it clear to other people, dont go loosening off your headbolts, as once theyve been torqued the headgasket has crushed/sealed so last thing you wanna do is cause problems. Also I understand what your saying about retorquing them after a few cycles but I've tried that on stock botls & they didnt tighten anymore, plus it was a bit of hassle as the cams have to come back out again to get the 2 bolts under the cam gears.